• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ste ice

Emmett

I have been playing around with this STE ICE (junk box) quite a bit lately and decided to use it on a Duce that a friend wanted to buy.

I know that many people don't like the Junk Box and think it is not useful. The manual is not the easiest to follow but after you use it a few times it gets much easier and has some neat functions.

We decided to perform a 'compression unbalance' test. Pretty amazing how it determines that. This duce had a 1% unbalance and I was happy with that. Next was the power or Dyno test. That's kinda scary as you have to insure that the governer (sp?) works. Should be between 2750 and 2900 RPM. This one was at 2850 RPM.....the test has you floor it and then quickly release the throttle. Minimum power rating is 60%....this one has a 80% power rating.

Checked the batteries, starter current check, and a few other things, all well within limits.

If nothing else, the unit should give you a picture of how healthy your engine and electrical system is and after a bit of use, is easy and not much set-up time. We tried it on a sick M35 and it failed both the compression and power checks not to mention a few other items.

In summary, If you are willing to learn something new and apply yourself it can be a useful tool. Checking things like pressure would be a bit easier with a guage and adaptors but if you're already there, just plug in the unit and it will give you a digital readout. No need to keep all those low and high pressure guages with the adaptors in a seceret drawer that you always forget where you put them.

Always did like test equipment.:mrgreen:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a Duce.

I kinda want to get an ICE/STE unit, It would be fun to have.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if anyone going to the GA Rally wants a super nice looking one complete, I will bring mine. Won't be shipping it, it's heavier than a sack of anvils.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever used it? Maybe we could trade something?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, cause we're in the deuce forum.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used mine a few times on my CUCVs, just performing simple tests, it is pretty cool.
There is or was supposed to be a tach adapter available for the CUCVs but I have not seen one.

Whitey

I know someone that has a few, had him give me a tutorial once last year. It's kinda an interesting machine, but didn't think it had much modern application. Glad someone is getting some use out of them.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure, but I believe it gives out a tach reading on CUCVs by some obscure method
that depends on a small circuit boar that fits in one of those pouches under the dash like the glow plug module fits in. It's been a few years since I played with it.
Bruce

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure, but I believe it gives out a tach reading on CUCVs by some obscure method
that depends on a small circuit boar that fits in one of those pouches under the dash like the glow plug module fits in. It's been a few years since I played with it.
Bruce
It's been a year or so since I used my STE/ICE also. I'll get the manual out and read it again. Maybe that card/board is what the manual was refering to. Whatever it needs, it doesn't come with the kit.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, it would come with your CUCV and would only work in a CUCV.
Mind you, I am only going by my memory or the lack therof.
Bruce