• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers for Dummy needed

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sure could use some educating on the use of the website. I have asked questions, got tremendous answers, and just when I thought I was getting the hang of how to use this website I discovered I was so wrong. I need to replace a driver side door glass on a M1083 and I thought for sure getting the information would be easy ( and maybe it is and I just don't know how to retrieve it) So I hit the particular classification and started going through the "threads" and by the time I hit the 60th page and only half finished I lost my composure and decided to write. IS THERE A SEARCH ENGINE MAYBE I'M MISSING or is it going thread by thread before I write and then someone points out where it is? My powers of observation are leaving me and I sure could use help once again. Thank you/ Lugnuts

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The search is in the upper right (looks like a magnifying glass). I doubt you will find a thread on how to change a window. I'd look in the TM for the procedure to change it.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The search is in the upper right (looks like a magnifying glass). I doubt you will find a thread on how to change a window. I'd look in the TM for the procedure to change it.
I did and that just deals with flat glass of the windshield and cab flat windows. Thanks for the search tip/ Lugnuts

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has written a thread on replacing the door window glass, which is why you can’t find it. The TM may discuss it, but if you remove the inner door panel, you will see how the window tracks unbolt, allowing the glass to be removed.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has written a thread on replacing the door window glass, which is why you can’t find it. The TM may discuss it, but if you remove the inner door panel, you will see how the window tracks unbolt, allowing the glass to be removed.
Removal is not like you expect. I just finished the job and I guess I'll write it up. Thank you for you response

fasttruck

The procedure should be detailed in the organizational maintenance manual applicable to that particular vehicle. The TM numbers are typically listed on a data plate in the cab. Besides the glass you may need to replace the clips that attach the glass and track to the window lift itself. The TM will explain this.

The TMs are available on line or in the Technical Manual forum on this site.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The procedure should be detailed in the organizational maintenance manual applicable to that particular vehicle. The TM numbers are typically listed on a data plate in the cab. Besides the glass you may need to replace the clips that attach the glass and track to the window lift itself. The TM will explain this.

The TMs are available on line or in the Technical Manual forum on this site.
Appreciate the reply. I have the Manual and it listed the winshield and flat glass repair but did not list the window glass replacement. So I went ahead and figured it out. Thanks for the response

fasttruck

The organizational maintenance manual for the 809 series trucks contains detail instructions on replacing the door glass. I cannot imagine how they would omit it from the FTMV unless the task is considered direct support echelon level work

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I did look that up and you are absolutely correct about the instructions. Unfortunately it is a different style door on the LMTV than the 809 Series and the instructions just weren't there. It was for the flat glass including the windshield but not the door glass. There again I most certainly could have missed it somewhere. Figured it out and wrote a little something about it. Thanks again

fasttruck

Never worked with LMTVs and FMTVs in service or read the TMs. If the window info is not in the organizational maintenance manual (-20) the only thing I can figure is the window work was assigned to direct support (-30) level shop work.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not familiar with the Tech Manual Protocol and Categories of arrangement. If you have the time could you point me in the direction or explain the different categories. If not I understand. the -20 and -30 doesn't mean anything to me. Thank you

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not familiar with the Tech Manual Protocol and Categories of arrangement. If you have the time could you point me in the direction or explain the different categories. If not I understand. the -20 and -30 doesn't mean anything to me. Thank you
-10 is operators manual, -20 is the level of maintenance permitted at the unit level, -30 is the higher level maintenance only permitted at depot level (or whatever they call it). You may have to look in several different manuals until you find the particular item. Another good manual is the -P which is the parts manual and has exploded views of every single assembly.

Last edited:

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really appreciate that information. I am going to look at the Manual Numbers and see how that reads out. If I have any questions and I'm sure I will may I come back to this thread and bother you more? Lugnuts

fasttruck

Post 12 has the straight skinny for those not in the know. The Army has a manual for everything. Vehicles come under the aegis of the Army Maintenance Management System (TAMMS) which dictates 5 echelons ranging from operator (-10 manual), organizational or company level (-20),l Direct Support, (-30),
General Support (-40) and Depot (-50). From the 2nd echelon up there is a companion parts book that lists the parts that each level is authorized to use. Another publication lists which tasks each echelon is responsible to do. Depot does not replace light bulbs and organizational do not rebuild engines. Most private owners should have a -10, -20, -20P and a lubrication order particular to their vehicle. The TM numbers usually appear on a data plate in the cab. This system came to be between the Korean and Vietnam period. WW2 books are different and the material included in todays -10 and 20 manuals was lumped into one book.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Sir I am your man, the one not in the know on this. Good information! One more thing, where do I find Post 12? I truly didn't and don't know how this information is arranged. I am sure it has a beginning and if it is Post 12 please say where I can find that. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks a whole bunch/ Lugnuts

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the number of replies. This is post#16. Look at the numbers to the right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks