• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers migration 12/9/19

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When typing a Reply to a thread, it's hard to see where I've highlighted text for editing, such as correcting a typo. This may be my own monitor, but thought I'd mention it. This was not a problem last site version. Highlighting on normal posts is fine, it's just the reply window. The dark background doesn't change color when I highlight text, the text just gets a slight hair lighter.
BDGR

coachgeo

Re-Posting in right place as per Pat Tracy.. I sure hope you find a way to bring back some way to catalog subscriptions (now called "watched" was called subscriptions with folders option). Had a good 30 folders and hours upon hours of work into my subscription organizing before. Subscription / Folders was a great, easy way to get to back to material a member put aside for easy access when needed. Really, really valuable tool. Pretty angry, all my hours of work got zapped.

That being said.. If a member has a search tool to search ONLY within there watched threads then may not need folder tool.

just discovered bookmarks.... will explore this as a replacement for folders?? Might work see updated post on this at

Last edited:

coachgeo

That would be a setting of your browser. Most tablets have a pinch/stretch that will "zoom" in a page.
understand upgrade pains. Hope your able to renew needed tools for member benefits.

. Agree there is font issue. One, the setting in browser is global... it will enlarge all websites you go to.. Example, I'd already done that before upgrade, but if do it again every site visited will be too large but here; not good. Only need this site larger. Two, while you can pinch/expand back and forth between things it is a royal PITA and takes up surprisingly a good bit of battery to do so often.
. support for folders in watched (or search feature for watched) ;as mentioned separately earlier please bring on board.
. Pinned post; do as mentioned, need a different hue. Had hard time finding this thread until realized there was many many pined post above it.

Have trust admins and mods will get these things figured out. Thanks for all your hard work

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re-Posting in right place as per Pat Tracy.. I sure hope you find a way to bring back some way to catalog subscriptions (now called "watched" was called subscriptions with folders option). Had a good 30 folders and hours upon hours of work into my subscription organizing before. Subscription / Folders was a great, easy way to get to back to material a member put aside for easy access when needed. Really, really valuable tool. Pretty angry, all my hours of work got zapped.

That being said.. If a member has a search tool to search ONLY within there watched threads then may not need folder tool.

just discovered bookmarks.... will explore this as a replacement for folders?? Might work see updated post on this at
I'll be honest, all of that sorting is gone. It did not transfer over since there was nothing outside of just a listing of items for xF to use. I am adding more features, I'll see if there's any hack out there to give xF a similar ability. So far though, I've not found anything.

Bookmarks would serve a better function for what you're after if you're just trying to track threads or keep "handy" ones around. Not sure if you were following posts to see email updates or just following to have them handy?

I'm going to add a nav link to bookmarks from the menu.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least it works nicer on my iphone than before. Great job. I noticed I did not get ANY message from steelsoldiers the last 2 days. Was that because of the move or did something go wrong with suscribed thread notification?

coachgeo

I'll be honest, all of that sorting is gone. It did not transfer over since there was nothing outside of just a listing of items for xF to use. I am adding more features, I'll see if there's any hack out there to give xF a similar ability. So far though, I've not found anything.

Bookmarks would serve a better function for what you're after if you're just trying to track threads or keep "handy" ones around. Not sure if you were following posts to see email updates or just following to have them handy?

I'm going to add a nav link to bookmarks from the menu.
yeah just saw bookmarks tool and replied that this may serve the goal. was hoping you might could still transfer our old folders to bookmarks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
At least it works nicer on my iphone than before. Great job. I noticed I did not get ANY message from steelsoldiers the last 2 days. Was that because of the move or did something go wrong with suscribed thread notification?
The move took the entire weekend. You should be getting notices now though.

TGP (IL)

Is there any way to combine the half dozen or so old threads into something, rather
Than scrolling through them to get to current posts?

Or is that a setting on my end I need to look at?

Thanks for the updated format.
It all look great and I'm learning through it.
Tom

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does one access their archival photos in case you want to repost an older photo into a new thread or thread response?

This photo is one I have uploaded to the old site previously, but now I re-attached it with the button below from my home files.

Vets Park 11-09-19.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

We're up and running on the new software for the forum. If you see any issues please report them here.

When I create a link in text, it looks exactly the same as ordinary text. There's nothing to show it's a link. Bad idea!

Also a very bad idea: Making every reply automatically quote the entire post to which one is replying. This unnecessarily clutters up the forum. I have seen it on other forums, and it's ugly. When there are a lot of pictures involved, it's VERY ugly.

There should be a QUOTE button for that, and the REPLY button should just open up a reply box.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is there any way to combine the half dozen or so old threads into something, rather
Than scrolling through them to get to current posts?

Or is that a setting on my end I need to look at?

Thanks for the updated format.
It all look great and I'm learning through it.
Tom
Could you expand upon what you're talking about? Are you talking about the posts displayed in a forum? Most of them are pinned/stuck. We probably should re-eval what should be stuck there.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How does one access their archival photos in case you want to repost an older photo into a new thread or thread response?

This photo is one I have uploaded to the old site previously, but now I re-attached it with the button below from my home files.

View attachment 784897
While the new system's attachment system is more robust with how it uploads/displays. It's also limited on what it can do, so unfortunately it's geared towards users posting up new images/attachments rather than reposting them. I know there's a add on for 1.5, but I'm not sure about 2.1 to address this. I will try to get that added on. (And thanks for understanding that it's best to reuse the already attached image)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks