• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2017 - May VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please vote here for your favorite MV of the month. And contestants, please feel free to "campaign" for votes here as well! Let's have at it!

Please campaign only in the thread, not PMing people.

1. bigmike
bigmike.jpg

2. camoK5
camoK5.jpg

3. BenRoberts
BenRoberts.jpg

4. airbornebandsman
airbornebandsman.jpg

5. Tracer
Tracer.jpg

6. MyothersanM1
MyothersanM1.jpg

7. Superdave
Superdave.jpg

8. gunboy1656
gunboy.jpg

9. PCBOCCHI
PCBOCCHI.jpg

10. 1954 COE
1954 COE.jpg

11. Txcarnut
txcarnut.jpg

12. Shark Bait
Shark Bait.jpg

Superdave

IM000001.jpgIM000000.jpg

That was part of it, There were 5 in total buried as a retaining wall for a hunting lodge back it the 60's here was an article done in wheels and tracks magazine a ways back and hopefully you can read it.

someoldmoose

Superdave : A barn find without even having a barn, Priceless ! But then so is that fine piece of history. It's truly gorgeous, Congratulations.

All terrific nominations this month. :clinto:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1965 M543A2 Wrecker

I acquired this Wrecker from NF6X about 4-5 years ago. Tore into all the mechanicals first. then I tackled the bodywork...4 years of sanding! From there I did all the upholstery; reproducing the crane control seats down to the wood and the twist inserts, bodywork, paint, EVERYTHING. Attention to detail in every way. BTW, the dash paint is ORIGINAL. I polished it out over several days removing years of oxidation to reveal the original, never re-painted dash and inner door skins. Continuing on my theme of attention to detail, all remaining data plates; boom control plates, winch instructions etc. reproduced and replaced. Installed period correct VIC-1. NOS canvas seats and top. NOS convoy lights.

The icing on the cake is the M49 gun ring and 1919A4. Did I mention that I built the 1919A4. Fulling functioning, BTW. This piece of living history is my way of recognizing and thanking the brave folks who served in Vietnam. I give you my Vietnam Veteran Tribute Truck for your consideration.

Attachments

Last edited:

Superdave

Any idea why someone bothered to bury it like that?

That's a lot of work and trouble. Wonder what that was about?

As the story goes a hunting lodge purchased a bunch of these in the 60's and used them to take out the guests for rides. As they built the lodge close to the lake the shore line was eroding away and they used about 5 of them to use as a bit of a retaining wall to stabilize the shoreline.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I acquired this Wrecker from NF6X about 4-5 years ago. Tore into all the mechanicals first. then I tackled the bodywork...4 years of sanding! From there I did all the upholstery; reproducing the crane control seats down to the wood and the twist inserts, bodywork, paint, EVERYTHING. Attention to detail in every way. BTW, the dash paint is ORIGINAL. I polished it out over several days removing years of oxidation to reveal the original, never re-painted dash and inner door skins. Continuing on my theme of attention to detail, all remaining data plates; boom control plates, winch instructions etc. reproduced and replaced. Installed period correct VIC-1. NOS canvas seats and top. NOS convoy lights.

The icing on the cake is the M49 gun ring and 1919A4. Did I mention that I built the 1919A4. Fulling functioning, BTW. This piece of living history is my way of recognizing and thanking the brave folks who served in Vietnam. I give you my Vietnam Veteran Tribute Truck for your consideration.
Looks great Mike. Love the convoy lights, and I can appreciate the countless hours spent to bring this one back. [thumbzup]

Another Ahab

As the story goes a hunting lodge purchased a bunch of these in the 60's and used them to take out the guests for rides. As they built the lodge close to the lake the shore line was eroding away and they used about 5 of them to use as a bit of a retaining wall to stabilize the shoreline.
Got it. That was mentioned before, and it plumb evaded me and my weak mind at first.

Because at first I was thinking "retaining wall" like "holding up soil" instead of "retaining wall" like "rip-rap to hold back erosion".

I get it now. Thank you!

jking615

Soon.... very soon I will enter, but first I have some basic bodywork to finish.... like cutting out the kick panel under the door where the military went "Forget it, slap super bondo on it and go!" Superdaves story is so unique I will give it a vote.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks