• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2020 - March VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. fuzzytoaster

2. Taborljoshua

3. Tracer

4. MyothersanM1

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_2345.jpg
DSCF1507.JPG
DSCF2457.JPG
InkedDSCF1562_LI.jpg
I Painted the truck Woodland Green, added the M52 air canister, warning signal lamps, west coast mirrors, and a drivers spring seat on the passenger side for my wife (navigator). The Nickeled 30-06 rounds hanging from my wiper vacuum lines are my wife's idea, (air freshener). Last, I picked up a clean M105A2 from a friend, did the brakes, added some paint and tires, she pulls nice and straight.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck is deceiving plain to the eye...and that's exactly as intended. It was regeared with the 3.07 gears, drive line balanced, and with the C7 CAT rerated for 350 HP it flies down the road. Everything below the frame was pulled, cleaned, and rebuilt. During the test drive I hit 78 mph (safely with higher rated tires) and still had power to keep climbing. Having redone all the hoses, converted to all milspec/factory LEDs, and basically reset the truck to factory fresh it's a mean green machine. It deserved a paint job which was my first 2 tone (black frame and 383 green body). Everything is military sourced on it still.

If you had the chance to put your foot to the floor in this relatively young gal it would be hard to go back to slamming gears, Armstrong steering, and calculating travel time "by deuce" speed. :driver:

88301406_10163179559935578_1047065399872454656_o.jpg
87935810_10163179563735578_1451000700329787392_o.jpg

87761366_10163179564745578_301683613882122240_o.jpg
88184805_10163179565740578_6148121241841565696_o.jpg
87945419_10163179567170578_4761750560841924608_o.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer, that baby brings back some real good, (and a few bad) memories. We did the same thing with the drivers and passengers seat also. Made life a tad nicer running long distance. All the trucks look great, but yours opens a lot of old doors in my head.
Thanks Guy. :coffee:

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSC_0110.jpg
DSCF2487.JPG
APC Interior Light.JPG
DSCF1505.JPG
DSC_0491.jpg
One of the changes I've made to the truck was installing a 10,000lb winch. I purchased the winch complete off e-bay from a seller in the mid-west. The frame had been torch cut right behind the radiator, and I received it complete from the frame ends forward, along with the bumper, extensions, PTO, driveshaft, and linkage. The hardware holding the bumper to the extensions and supports were badly rusted, requiring a can of PB Blaster, a sledge hammer, drift punch, and a lot of patience to get the bolts removed. Got everything sand blasted and primed, then picked up new hardware from Fastenal. It took almost a year to rebuild the winch and PTO, (learned a lot, TMs) the drive shaft and u-joints were new.....go figure. When it came to installing the PTO, I did some digging in the Steel Soldiers archives on shimming the PTO. Glad I did!! Got new data plates from Big Mikes, and getting the cable spooled on wasn't as difficult as I anticipated. Last was a good quality canvas winch cover from Steel Soldiers member, John Tennis (JATONKA). Now out on the highway I get tired of trying to hold a flashlight to read a map. It's not real safe, and sometimes the flashlight battery is dead. So I purchased a APC interior light from CARNAC several years ago when he was at the April meet at Tower Park. I opened it up, replaced both bulbs, cleaned it up, and gave it a coat of OD. All you need is four 7/8 hose clamps to attach to the light, and clamp it to the soft top rails, and wire it up. Just reach up and turn it on, it's easy to use. (See pic) You can also install a dimmer switch, it makes the light more convenient to use. You can get them at a hardware store. I don't know how to install the lights if you have a hard top, but I'm sure there is a way to do it. I rebuilt the front end on my truck a couple years ago, and when it came to shocks, I installed Monroe Gas Shocks. One of our MVCC members used them on his Deuce and liked them. They make highway expansion cracks, potholes, and railroad crossings a little more pleasant than with the stock shocks. I installed a pair of Lollipop lights on the front to make my lane changes safer, and they do. They were the last purchase I made from Saturn Surplus before they closed. I also added a front bumper mount for my tow bar using axle clamps. Due to physical limitations, I can no longer remove and return the tow bar to it's place in the truck bed. Mounted up front, it's convenient, easier for me to use, and doesn't require modification of any kind, to any of the parts used. The markings on the front bumper. (6A FO/TMP-9) Sixth US Army-Fort Ord/Transportation Motor Pool-Truck 9. Old memories. My Brother did his basic at Fort Ord in 1964.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks