• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2022 - January VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmetalmiki

This is Bertha. My 1990 M923A2. Her last unit was with the 115th Combat Support Hospital out of Fort Polk, La.

After being auctioned, she landed with our very own @Trailboss where she sat for a while.

I originally went to look at some deuces that he had for sale, but to get those girls where they needed to be was beyond my abilities, and I knew this. He asked me 'Have you ever thought about a 5 ton?"

When I went to look at her, this is the shape she was in:

View attachment 856117

View attachment 856141

View attachment 856118

Kind of rough, but after my initial "Holy crap I've never messed with anything that big!" I saw her potential, took some photos and went home to discuss it with my sweet lady.

After showing her the pics, she said "LETS #*&$ING DO THAT!" (I'm paraphrasing).

So after negotiating a price for everything, I had to wait until I came in from offshore to pull the trigger on recovery.

Because I have the patience of a seven year old, we went to recover her the first available day I had when I came in... which was February 13, 2021... a day that had a HIGH temp of 30°. One of my best friends, my sweet lady and my son all loaded up in my truck with tools, antifreeze, towstraps and other necessities (like a thermos full of hot coffee) at 0500 in the morning I order to be at the truck by daylight.

Once there, we got busy cleaning windows, installing batteries and airing up tires...

View attachment 856119

View attachment 856120

Next came the moment of truth... the fuel had been sitting as long as the truck had, I bought 2 new type 31 batteries.... will she start and get home under her own power or am I gonna shell out for a wrecker?

Starting the M923A2 after two years in 30° weather

more later...
PLEASE...BE CAREFUL..That boy should not be there at that position inflating tires like that.
NOT once...A few times We have seen the valve inflate tube with the schraeder valve EXPLODE out of the rim on old military vehicle and trailer rims,
The young un's here helping us ARE NOT allowed to inflate tires..EVER.

But , IF he must (Bless im')..Then, Have him ( OR ANYONE actually ), USE a CLIPPER tire inflator.

Affix it to the stem. Stand CLEAR and well back ( BUT close to the SIDE of the truck! ), on a good length of air line..And THEN 'have at it'. :naner:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PLEASE...BE CAREFUL..That boy should not be there at that position inflating tires like that.
NOT once...A few times We have seen the valve inflate tube with the schraeder valve EXPLODE out of the rim on old military vehicle and trailer rims,
The young un's here helping us ARE NOT allowed to inflate tires..EVER.

But , IF he must (Bless im')..Then, Have him ( OR ANYONE actually ), USE a CLIPPER tire inflator.

Affix it to the stem. Stand CLEAR and well back ( BUT close to the SIDE of the truck! ), on a good length of air line..And THEN 'have at it'. :naner:
Thanks for the input. I was well aware of the pressures involved and he only inflated for about a minute on each tire. It was his way of helping.

I've seen the videos of the tires erupting and wouldn't put him in that position.

Thanks again bud.

dmetalmiki

Various camping trips and car shows...

This was the "Charity Angel's" car show to benefit children with autism.

View attachment 856192

Bertha picked up "Best Original", "Best Military" and "Top 25"
View attachment 856194

Camping:
View attachment 856195

View attachment 856196

View attachment 856197

View attachment 856199

Vets helping Vets car show... Bertha picked up the people's choice award!

View attachment 856200

The Deville, La Christmas parade...

View attachment 856207
Great cause...YOU have my vote.

M35A27707

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Sir, I stumbled across your thread where you showed the great work you did on your Deuce and I wanted to know where did you find the double Amber/Red lollipop lights? I want to do the same to my Truck… I have only seen the single ones. I hope you don’t mind me using your great idea…Also how did you get your parking lights to come on with your headlights ? Thanks in advance…v/r Will aka M35A27707…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks