• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2023 - June VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. ToddJK

2. Weldman

3. mkcoen

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it looks like a limited campaign event. I’ll start things off with the 1954 M-37 “IshMater.” This was an eBay purchase because the wife wanted a mid-fifties Power Wagon and I thought the M-37 was way cooler. It came to us in OD green and was going to be returned to that until we discovered the Israeli connection during the restoration. Rather than repeat all of that I’ll just direct you to the build thread - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/working-on-the-m37.72872/

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
When all hell is breaking loose is when I show up to save the day with the rig, and the rig works for it's keep. Won't push her too far as I know her limits. Soon she will be bringing all the materials in for a passive solar house for me to build. No matter if it is -40 or if it is 115° she is there getting work done along side her master.
This is where I live and it's minor in how bad it can get, but imagine trying to get to town in emergency in worse conditions 50 miles up the road driving this with a everyday vehicle.
Most don't know there is no heater in this rig yet and the weather seals are all gone, might as well roll your window down and enjoy the fresh air when it's average -20° in this rig. Working on getting her in order.

ToddJK

When all hell is breaking loose is when I show up to save the day with the rig, and the rig works for it's keep. Won't push her too far as I know her limits. Soon she will be bringing all the materials in for a passive solar house for me to build. No matter if it is -40 or if it is 115° she is there getting work done along side her master.
This is where I live and it's minor in how bad it can get, but imagine trying to get to town in emergency in worse conditions 50 miles up the road driving this with a everyday vehicle.
Most don't know there is no heater in this rig yet and the weather seals are all gone, might as well roll your window down and enjoy the fresh air when it's average -20° in this rig. Working on getting her in order.
Is there a name for that truck? I don't know why, but she looks like a "Thyra", which in Norse mythology, "The protector of brave men and champions."

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Is there a name for that truck? I don't know why, but she looks like a "Thyra", which in Norse mythology, "The protector of brave men and champions."
No there isn't one, we thought of calling her Lucille in name of one I lost to "Type 63" 107 mm missile round, but we decided best to move on from the memories and create new ones in the civilian world.

ToddJK

This was back in March when we had the final wave of winter snow for the year. Drove Crispy to the in-laws to pick up my son, while it may not handle like my Dakota in the snow and ice, knowing what it is I'm behind the wheel of, I drive slower and more alert. With a heater that works and from the heat of the engine and drivetrain and the addition of the arctic cover on the front, it's actually quite pleasant to drive in the cold.

Attachments

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
This was back in March when we had the final wave of winter snow for the year. Drove Crispy to the in-laws to pick up my son, while it may not handle like my Dakota in the snow and ice, knowing what it is I'm behind the wheel of, I drive slower and more alert. With a heater that works and from the heat of the engine and drivetrain and the addition of the arctic cover on the front, it's actually quite pleasant to drive in the cold.
I have a new windshield the old one is damaged, rusted and seals dry rotted beyond repair. Someone dropped something on the roof and it doesn't sit right either. Ran out of time to fix anything as I have nowhere to work on it last winter so I drove it as is. Spent all my time getting pole barn enclosed last winter to not do this again. There is a half inch gap where windows roll up too, it just needs cab ripped apart and redone.

ToddJK

I have a new windshield the old one is damaged, rusted and seals dry rotted beyond repair. Someone dropped something on the roof and it doesn't sit right either. Ran out of time to fix anything as I have nowhere to work on it last winter so I drove it as is. Spent all my time getting pole barn enclosed last winter to not do this again. There is a half inch gap where windows roll up too, it just needs cab ripped apart and redone.
Mine has the insulated soft top and to my surprise, it works rather well, but it has some major gaps up in the corners where rain and snow would come in and the windows aren't square either. The weather stripping around the windows is a pita to do since it's a process, but some weatherstripping from the hardware store for a temporary fix sure helped. The worst part are the wipers, they just suck, lmao. A couple times snow built up on the window to the point I couldn't even see and the wiper just went over it 🤦. Having a dedicated squeegee in the truck sure helps as well as some ice melter in a spray bottle.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Mine has the insulated soft top and to my surprise, it works rather well, but it has some major gaps up in the corners where rain and snow would come in and the windows aren't square either. The weather stripping around the windows is a pita to do since it's a process, but some weatherstripping from the hardware store for a temporary fix sure helped. The worst part are the wipers, they just suck, lmao. A couple times snow built up on the window to the point I couldn't even see and the wiper just went over it 🤦. Having a dedicated squeegee in the truck sure helps as well as some ice melter in a spray bottle.
Wipers have never been functional. I get so much wind in the cab anything over 20 mph blows out the Buddy Heater I had riding up front. I'm going to fabricate something to fix the gaps if that's how the door windows sit.
Got my pole barn ready now for working on her, won't start on it till I get the loft upstairs livable.
F7E8354E-6EB3-44D7-87B4-C628BC12371E.jpeg

Artistic pole barn.jpeg

ToddJK

One thing I appreciate about having a winch, it does come in handy at times. Last year there was a tree down across the road on one of the trails I was on. I used the winch along with a chain and some hd tow straps to pull a huge portion to the side of the road so other vehicles can get by. By using the straps and chain to one end of the tree and pulling it to the side by backing up, I used the winch to pull the other end while the chain and strap held the other end in place. I wish I got a video of it but the pictures will have to do.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
One thing I appreciate about having a winch, it does come in handy at times. Last year there was a tree down across the road on one of the trails I was on. I used the winch along with a chain and some hd tow straps to pull a huge portion to the side of the road so other vehicles can get by. By using the straps and chain to one end of the tree and pulling it to the side by backing up, I used the winch to pull the other end while the chain and strap held the other end in place. I wish I got a video of it but the pictures will have to do.
Nice! Having the right machine and proper tools makes it look easy.
I'm sure the other folks who use that trail were happy you did what you did!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks