• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2024 - February VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. Superthermal

2. biscuitwhistler37

3. Jasonjc

4. msgjd

5. Tracer

6. Firemanmike69

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang there a re some good looking vehicles in this one, it's gonna be a tough one.
Mine is a 1990 M936A2 , picked it up about 3 months ago and have been picking away at the deficiency list as time, weather and funds allow
1000009824.jpg

Here it is on the lowboy for the voyage home, only about a 3 hour trip but didn't want to risk it with a vehicle that had sat for a few years.
Got it back up to good condition and finally got to do some wrecker stuff with it, after replacing the hoist cable
1000010677.jpg

Doing some trailer work, why use a jack when you have a wrecker!

Superthermal

Hello All my Brothers! I will start off by saying that after spending some significant time now reading through SS threads, I am impressed how helpful and genuinely concerned our mentors here are. Every time I have been needing to understand something better I have found it here. So Thanks to you all for being cool and helpful. Now onto the fun!
The BOT as my family has called it, Big Oversized Truck (Morphing now to the Big Old Truck), has now been ours for nearly 2 years. I did enter and win back in 2022 one of the months, so, If you want to pass on your vote to someone else who is greatly wanting some of that attention please do! I am here primarily to show off how killer these trucks are and how fun they can be to own. I cannot tell you how many people this rig has put in danger as I see people in their cars fumbling around to get there phone out to where they can take a picture to show their friends! Even our boys in the Apache Helecopters flying out in the desert cant help but come take a look! (See my build thread below for more on that!)
Here in Utah a few of us in the MV community have been taking two outings a year to keep the rigs in operational condition and proved in the field. The winter outing is cold and wet but by far the funnest due to the mud and snow. If I had a drone or something to take pictures of us out wheeling I am sure I would have some killer footage, but when your doing the driving there isn't much photo taking!
If your interested in taking a bit more of a look at the journey we have had so far with the BOT you can see the thread right here on SS.

AmericaTheBrave.JPG
20240201_150316.jpg
20240203_172856.jpg
1708614146176.jpeg
1708614956265.jpeg

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Wife and I use our M38A1 for going off road here in NW Nevada. There is a lot of wide-open spaces here, and many back roads that lead to some historical places. To get to these places you need to cross the Wassuk Mountain Range, and to do that you need to get on the road to Lucky Boy Pass which leads to the famous Aurora, Borealis, and Bodie Gold & Silver mines. Picture #1 is the entrance to the Lucky Boy Pass and the summit. Picture #2 is the road going over the Pass that leads to the summit. Picture #3 is the summit that's about 7000ft. with a beautiful view of the Eastern Sierras and beyond. MORE TO COME.
DSCF3017.JPG
DSCF3016.JPG
DSCF3010.JPG

Picture #4. As we journey down to the Aurora Mine and the Fletcher rest stop in the trees up ahead. There is a lot of open country out here and you sure don't want to break down as there are Coyotes, Black Bear, and an occasional Mountain Lion. Picture #5. Is a marker at the Fletcher rest stop that was used by the stagecoach and Pony express riders in the 1800s as a watering hole and overnight rest stop. Picture #6. Still today the Fletcher water stop is still providing rest and relaxation as my CO cools off after the long drive over Lucky Boy Pass. MORE TO COME.
DSCF3004.JPG

DSCF3005.JPG

DSCF3007.JPG

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up the XM818 and a sister '71 M818 at Ft Indiantown Gap, PA in 2009 , together on one load.. Left late one evening and didn't get back until two mornings later .. The truck is as OEM as the day it was released from the military and has needed nothing other than normal maintenance ..

It originally was used on the M750 parts trailer on construction jobsites in conjunction with our M109A3 mobile shop truck before I scaled down operations.. It's now primarily used with a stepdeck on-road/off-road, however it is also used to spot other trailers, especially on bad terrain.. Before acquiring a FLD120 road tractor (M915A3 "twin") a few years ago, the two M818's hauled plenty of 40ft dry-van hay loads (and step-deck loads) on 300-mile round trips several times a year.. (pics and vids of such and their haul from FIG-PA are on an old computer in storage :( ). Let's just say 2 hours into these trips when the sky turned dark, a beautiful orange flame would appear from the stack, purring like a warm kitten .. (okay, screaming like an angry cummins :)) .. The FLD has since taken all the "long-distance" work away from the M818's to save my back, but this XM818 still gets almost all the local hauls whenever equipment needs to be moved ;)

20230303_120245 copy.jpg

xm818 step 22b pit copy.jpg

m818 hay load greenwich copy.jpg

20230712_145907 copy.jpg

20220512_093859 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go. Picture #1. Finally, we have reached the gate to the Aurora mine. The Aurora mine first opened around the time of the Civil War and is still in operation today when gold prices are high as they are now. Picture #2. Is the original smelter at Aurora that dates back to the mines opening about 160 years ago. Picture #3. Is the road to the Aurora cemetery. The cemetery is still accepting new tenants with the most recent having entered in 1993 & 1995. For several years Mark Twain lived in Aurora as a miner, before moving to Virginia City to begin a career in journalism. Picture #4 & 5. It's time for a Pale Ale pit stop before preparing for the return home. More to come. A full story on the mechanical end. What's been done, what's in the works, and what remains. Stay tuned.
DSCF3001.JPG
DSCF3003.JPG
DSCF3002.JPG
DSCF3009.JPG
DSCF3012.JPG

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go. Picture #1. Finally, we have reached the gate to the Aurora mine. The Aurora mine first opened around the time of the Civil War and is still in operation today when gold prices are high as they are now. Picture #2. Is the original smelter at Aurora that dates back to the mines opening about 160 years ago. Picture #3. Is the road to the Aurora cemetery. The cemetery is still accepting new tenants with the most recent having entered in 1993 & 1995. For several years Mark Twain lived in Aurora as a miner, before moving to Virginia City to begin a career in journalism. Picture #4 & 5. It's time for a Pale Ale pit stop before preparing for the return home. More to come. A full story on the mechanical end. What's been done, what's in the works, and what remains. Stay tuned.
View attachment 917394View attachment 917390View attachment 917391View attachment 917392View attachment 917393

View attachment 917394View attachment 917390View attachment 917391View attachment 917392View attachment 917393
I see that water can..

Attachments

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We stayed someplace in the area, and went to a ghost town. I think we stayed about 4 days, and my mother hated it. I was in heaven.
I suppose my youngest son would quote you , I would hook up the old jeep to the pop-up camper and take him and his mother (wife #2) to all kinds of remote abandoned mills, mines, quarries, etc.. High on the list were places with old machinery or equipment/trucks etc.. The boy loved the adventures.. His mother would be silent the entire time, chalking up more marks on the divorce report card

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was but a lad, maybe 5-7 years old, My Godfather took my family out to Aurora. We stayed someplace in the area, and went to a ghost town. I think we stayed about 4 days, and my mother hated it. I was in heaven.
Guy the ghost town you were at was probably Bodie just over the border in CA.
DSCF2999.JPG

Guyfang

Staff member
I suppose my youngest son would quote you , I would hook up the old jeep to the pop-up camper and take him and his mother (wife #2) to all kinds of remote abandoned mills, mines, quarries, etc.. High on the list were places with old machinery or equipment/trucks etc.. The boy loved the adventures.. His mother would be silent the entire time, chalking up more marks on the divorce report card
Sounds like the story of my life as a kid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks