• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the YEAR 2015 - VOTE HERE

Please vote for MV 2015 of the YEAR

• 67beast

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • taylordc15

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • cranetruck

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • M920

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • sandcobra164

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • papabear

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • camoyj7

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • wscougarx

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Helldriverharry

• walkerhunter

• Castle Bravo

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • M215

Votes: 24 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires for this series of trucks with the military designation"16-20" (about 405/70-20 metric size), were very much part of the overall design, providing low unsprung weight and low center of gravity.
Low pressure, 30 psi on-road, (10psi, off road, including side slopes) low aspect ratio (70%) for max floatation on snow and sand.

The relatively light weight 220 lb (wheel included) made them easy to manage by two soldiers and they were tubeless (easy repair if punctured).
Made by BF Goodrich, Goodyear and Uniroyal (radial version, 16R20), described as Super Traction NDCC. The production of the tires ended in the late 1980's (date codes like 1955A497), when the vehicles were retired from service, but seem to hold up remarkably well, just hard to find. Less than 500 trucks were ever built, all delivered in 1969.

Mounted on the vehicle, they do not have to be removed for brake service.

Basic Issue Items included snow chains, which had to be "home made" to specifications in the TMs from chains from 1100-20 tires, since they was impossible to find. Four sets were welded and put together.

1972 ps magazine.jpg2008 0116 xm757 16-20 tubeless low profile tire (2).jpg2008 1006 tire size comparison, 1100-20 vs goodrich 16-20, P6210152.jpg2010 0906 1000 hrs, Monday, begin work on xm757 tire chains, ms500055-30.jpg2010 1106 1030 hrs, Saturday, tire chains, crosslinks, garage, P4110059.jpg2010 1110 1046 hrs, Wednesday, 2r and 3r tire chains installed, xm757 right rear view, P4140069.jpg

sandcobra164

Another reason to vote for Sarge. Only one other truck was actually running in the picture. Taylordc15 had his headlights on so I assume it was running. Do you know what none of the other trucks had? Soldiers riding in them. Sarge has a pile of them riding in him!! He loves lifting the spirits at the local Spirit of Christmas Parade!!! The last two pictures show what started my interest in the hobby. Sarge came after the Deuce and before the M923. The smaller kid in the first 8 pictures is Briggs, my little buddy. Sarge had a rough ride sitting in a cave in Norway to private ownership but he'll never leave Briggs site again. Search NOS USMC in the CUCV forum but you'll find out pretty quickly why this truck shot to the top of the polls in May.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Golly gee whizzer!! No activity in over a week?

Come on folks...vote for SOMEBODY!!

PS...If you have trouble deciding...vote for the K18-C:roll:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am too lazy to read all the MV of the month threads again, so I am waiting for the canvassing. MV of the month is a great honor, but of the year is outstanding, so convince me who I should vote for before I just let the attraction of the picture do its work. :?

67Beast

I just want to take the time to thank everyone who has voted so far, and I'm truly humbled by the number of votes for my 67' M715. This Jeep was the start of my green iron obsession starting in 2004 which had led to my current motorpool of 5 trucks and a trailer unit that I have restored. And being the first it is by far my favorite of the group and I find that in the summer months when the weather is warm, I spend a lot of time cruising the M715 with the top off around the area. I live in a large tourist area at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes off-road area and with thousands of high dollar trucks and buggies running around, it's great to have a good old fashion low tech Army truck turn heads and stop traffic everywhere it goes around here. Keep up the great work everyone!

Attachments

Foxtrot Oscar

Well, how can one not vote for the papabear K18-C? Its build thread was surely the biggest thread of 2015. Every installment was eagerly awaited by the SS masses. Every twist and turn was felt by those observing the rescue of a rare beast in green. There was mystery, intrigue, investigation, transformation, medical drama, research, engineering to marvel at... You named it, this truck has it - In bulk. It is truely the MV of the Year!

Vote papabear and the K18-C ( And thanks to Zout for all his work. I hope the recovery is continuing.)

sandcobra164

I'm close friends with the members you mentioned. I'm pulling for my own truck though!!! Whose truck in the running has been shipboard and stored in Norway? Silence follows!!! Whose trucks are on original rubber? From 1985, factory fresh from the day it came off the line? Sure, I've had to do some minor work on it but it's the most original CUCV in private hands in running condition? I drove it yesterday!!! It's still ready to take on any mission thrown it's way. Not a Parade or Static Display, I'll take it to Ft. Stewart again for my Annual Training!!! It'll be the only truck in the convoy with "USMC" Markings on it! Semper Fi and OORAHH!!! I need to clarify that I'm a USMC Civilian and Army National Guardsmen. Don't want a "Stolen Valor" comment.

Foxtrot Oscar

Vote papabear for MV of the Year

Yes. All good points. It's a very close call in my mind sandcobra164. Like yours, my M1009 has original rubber, been shipboard, stored here in NZ, has original paint (under the camo) and carries original USMC markings and numbers. I just don't drive it often as it has never been registered for the road, ever. But it drives really nicely. Ordinarily I'd vote for any CUCV on principle (except when I voted for the Indian Motorcycle - It was from NZ) And I love the picture you put up with the troops in the back!
You'd get my vote any day... except today... 'cos the K18-C is really something special. We have only one down here and it survived due to being a useful conversion from a welding truck to a bus to a camper and has beds inside. Pic attached.
AND this is the MV of the Year poll!! Go papabear...

Attachments

gottaluvit

Drew,
I honestly think it's better the way you posted the poll this month. I'm sure some would like to see the screen names on the end result. Anonymous voting however will likely encourage people to vote for the truck that they really think should win! It's not helping my chances at all from a look at the poll. Time to register my wife, 2 boys and 2 cats on this site. That'll put me at an even 8 votes and nowhere near where I need to be to take the lead.
That CUCV gets my vote. That's a few less cat scratches on the keyboard!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some rather unique features of my 1969 xm757. Projects to keep me busy:
PRC-77 radio, Stewart Warner coolant heater, Benmar personell heater, NiCd starting battery and NiCd "house battery" (for heaters and radio, DC-AC inverter and accessories).
2014 0417 1158 hrs, xm757 radio, am2060a, prc77.jpg2008 0704 1530 hrs, Friday, start coolant heater, flame from exhaust, shut it down, P4160007.jpg2013 0626 0900 hrs, Wednesday, benmar heater control box, overhead,.jpg2013 0628 0941 hrs, Friday, benmar model ap3050, scat duct.jpg2011 0816 1201 hrs, Tuesday, starting battery with 19ea bb600 cells, 500 amp shunt, crimped cabl.jpg2013 0622 1142 hrs, Saturday, nicd house battery compartment, condensation.jpg2016 0123 1316 hrs, xm757 front view, snow, DSCN7924.jpg2016 0123 1317 hrs, xm757 left rear view, snow, DSCN7925.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks