• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel tubing

jamesfrom180

If its the actual receiver channel you need then tractor supply/ northern tool/summit all have the parts. For the body of the hitch you can then weld most any tubing to it with proper design or gusseting. I have placed receiver channels into many farm/garage made bumpers and have had no problems. My favorite method is taking structural square or rectangular tubing drilling four holes to accept the radius corners of the receiver and then using a cut off wheel to cut out the square. This is then welded and since it is done on both sides of the channel or the outer sides of the box provides a strong attachment. No garentees but I have snatched a fully loaded suburban high centered in the mud with a 3/4 ton truck and had no problems. I would reinforce this design with gussets if I was building for a deuce. :driver:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with most standard trailer reciever tubes such as the reese is that they are made of 5/16 square tubing with a 3/8 reinforcement ring. I've combed through all the local iron works drop piles and most of them don't even remember ever ordering any 3X3X1/2. Speedy metal and McMaster-Carr don't carry that size and I'm waiting on a call back from Metals depot. I did notice the issue of the seam and seamless square tubing yesterday at a local shop. I have a feeling that since I'm having this much trouble finding any regular seamed 3X3X1/2 that finding seamless will be next to impossible. The search continues though. Thanks for all the help
I wonder if you could get one of the standard 5/16 tubes and find a larger tube to act as a sleeve to get the tickness you want?

Actually, the last one I built I made it out of plate steel and welded it up. I cut the plate to the correct dimensions, laid the pieces around the hitch I wanted to use in it, and welded it up. I used thin shims between the receiver and the hitch while I welded to add clearance so the pieces would side in and out freely after I was done. You could do this with some 1/2" plate that can be found anywhere.

Welder Sam

im sorry. im a welder and know that mild steel is common to every welding shop. not all keep the same sizes, true but really, ordering online just seems whack. try out an old fashion phone book to locate manufactures of heavy items. i mean heavy, not just more than u want to pick up by hand. 3x3x0.5 is only going to be in heavy shops. farm equipment and other heavy equipment type places should be key. keep a pleasant tone and u could walk out with what u need cut to length free. ive seen it many times over 16yrs. just dont think youre going to get anything free from my employer unless u kiss his a**. ya think memphis feels that their stuff is gold? ha! these idiots think diamonds are in production there

dilligaf13

im sorry. im a welder and know that mild steel is common to every welding shop. not all keep the same sizes, true but really, ordering online just seems whack. try out an old fashion phone book to locate manufactures of heavy items. i mean heavy, not just more than u want to pick up by hand. 3x3x0.5 is only going to be in heavy shops. farm equipment and other heavy equipment type places should be key. keep a pleasant tone and u could walk out with what u need cut to length free. ive seen it many times over 16yrs. just dont think youre going to get anything free from my employer unless u kiss his a**. ya think memphis feels that their stuff is gold? ha! these idiots think diamonds are in production there
I always start at the local iron works. I've built a bunch of bumpers and such for my F350's and always get my steel directly from thier drop piles. I've tried the four in my county and none carry it. The sttel distributor for this area can order 3X3X1/2 but only in the standard 24ft lengths, which is a little much when I only need 18". McKinsey doesn't have anything thicker than 3/8 in that size.

PROSTOCKTOM

The best place in the World for any kind of material is Speedy Metals www.speedymetals.com

No mins. and If all you want is 1" of something they will sell it to you.

There shipping is super fast and always well packaged.

If there is something that you are ever looking for and don't see it on the website call them.

They have a lot more materials in stock than what there website list.

I've honestly sent hundreds of guys to Speedy Metals you can't go wrong with them.

Tom
Just bought some more items from Speedy Metals today.

I love dealing with them.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks