• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steerable Trailers?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There always seem to be a few dual axel steerable trailers on the auctions but I never see any on the road.

They would probably make good utility trailers for hauling stuff- no tongue issues to deal with. Are they not allowed on the roads? Do they not track well at highway speed?

goldneagle

The wagon style trailers like M989A1 come to mind when you made your comment. They are beasts as far as weight is concerned. They max out the tow capacity of a M35 without any cargo. As far as handling they are fine in forward motion, but a real pain in reverse due to the steer axle. I know someone that has one. He has not used it since he brought it home several years ago.

Some of the wagon type trailers are Air Force issue for low speed runway use and are not rated for highway use.

86m1028

The wagon style trailers like M989A1 come to mind when you made your comment. They are beasts as far as weight is concerned. They max out the tow capacity of a M35 without any cargo. As far as handling they are fine in forward motion, but a real pain in reverse due to the steer axle. I know someone that has one. He has not used it since he brought it home several years ago.
Hey I resemble that remark !
I have an m989A1 it is in great shape but it is now "lawn art".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walkerhunter drags his missile command trailer to the GA Rally every year without issues. What is the difference between these and the second trailer of doubles?

rustystud

Walkerhunter drags his missile command trailer to the GA Rally every year without issues. What is the difference between these and the second trailer of doubles?
Nothing, their the same thing. You just need the appropriate towing vehicle. Now if your towing two of them behind your regular fifth wheel trailer then they can get squirrely. Oregon still allows triple's and I still have my triple endorsement but I would never tow them again !

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M989A1 tows great with my 5 tons.
Backing it up is totally different!!

I always prided myself as fairly skilled when backing up a trailer.
The M989A1 wins every time.
I cannot back that thing up more than 5 feet before it wins.
Locking the pin wouldn't help me as I'm not in a huge smooth surface lot, so all I would do is just shear the lock pin.

Its great for hauling hay. For me that's about it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So why did they get rid of the M989? About they same deck space & load, wasn't it? And you can back them.View attachment 653326
No clue.
Why the A1 Instead of a totally new number since they are two completely different trailers?

Nice Deere. I have a 5 series myself.
Now Im gonna have to get one of those trailers. Looks to be a lot more useful.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This setup is used extensively in old Europe - years ago it was more common than semi's. Appropriate tow vehicle, generally with it's own load, is a must.
We do our own hay and I am currently up to reversing this type of wagon, behind the baler - 3 steerable pivot points. Next will be two hay wagons - 4 steerable points.

There is an incredible video out there of a trucker reverse-turning around a log combination on a mountainside,with barely enough width to jackknife the trailer and turn the whole lot 180 deg around....

...... found it:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coa4sWcDCXc

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This setup is used extensively in old Europe - years ago it was more common than semi's. Appropriate tow vehicle, generally with it's own load, is a must.
We do our own hay and I am currently up to reversing this type of wagon, behind the baler - 3 steerable pivot points. Next will be two hay wagons - 4 steerable points.

There is an incredible video out there of a trucker reverse-turning around a log combination on a mountainside,with barely enough width to jackknife the trailer and turn the whole lot 180 deg around....

...... found it:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coa4sWcDCXc
WOW

Now that was very impressive

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M989A1 tows great with my 5 tons.
Backing it up is totally different!!

I always prided myself as fairly skilled when backing up a trailer.
The M989A1 wins every time.
I cannot back that thing up more than 5 feet before it wins.
Locking the pin wouldn't help me as I'm not in a huge smooth surface lot, so all I would do is just shear the lock pin.

Its great for hauling hay. For me that's about it.
I doubt you will shear a 2 1/2" pin . Michigan specials are used daily off-road and dolly locks rarely break (unless they are worn out and neglected). 160,000 lbs is a legal load here in Michigan.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you can lock out the pivot on the m989a1? How does that help backing? Seems like backing like that would result in a bent tongue.
It's only for backing straight back according to the TM.
No turning whatsoever or you will just shear the lockout pin or just bend stuff up.
Its a heavy trailer. 11k empty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks