• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering adjustment

Pb101

Hey all, I have a 1964 m54a2. The steering on my truck has about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn of play before the steering engages. is there any adjustment on the steering box or column that would help reduce this play? possible linkages that could just be worn out and need to be replaced?

Thank you in advanced for the help!
Paul

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck went thru rebuild at some time in it's life. That is how it inherited the power steering system from the 800-series trucks. It was a good modification, with better performance overall.

There is an adjustment on the steering box, check with the TM's for that . Otherwise, go thru all the moving joints in the steering system, looking for slop. Tie rod ends, king pin bearings, drag link, eTc.

Also check the toe, it differs with taller tires. Inflation, too.

DG

Pb101

Your truck went thru rebuild at some time in it's life. That is how it inherited the power steering system from the 800-series trucks. It was a good modification, with better performance overall.

There is an adjustment on the steering box, check with the TM's for that . Otherwise, go thru all the moving joints in the steering system, looking for slop. Tie rod ends, king pin bearings, drag link, eTc.

DG
Thank you.

Pb101

Do they make a rebuild kit for these steering boxes? Just started to leak out of the front seal. Might as well rebuild it if I have to replace the seals. Thanks.

INFChief

DG
The drag link is often overlooked!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks