• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering and brake noises and issues

Creed

Hey guys. My HMMWV makes very loud noises when braking and turning. I took video but I don't think I can attach. They are both not smooth at all. I checked fluids and they are all topped off. Your advice would be great. Thanks.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys. My HMMWV makes very loud noises when braking and turning. I took video but I don't think I can attach. They are both not smooth at all. I checked fluids and they are all topped off. Your advice would be great. Thanks.
You can post to YouTube and then place a link here.
What model HMMWV?

Creed

You can post to YouTube and then place a link here.
What model HMMWV?
I found out I have burp the lines. Anyone has a video? I saw a video where i lift the truck and turn the steering wheel and pump brakes, but do I have to open any line to allow air out? I am sorry guys but learning as I go. First vehicle I really worked on.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it easy on the brake pedal, you don't want to blow the seals in the hydo-boost.
No need to open anything.
But again what model??? If you have V belts it could be loose belts, "not smooth at all" does not sound like just a little air in the fluid.
If air is entrained in the fluid it will just keep circulating, only time gets all of it out.

Creed

Take it easy on the brake pedal, you don't want to blow the seals in the hydo-boost.
But again what model??? If you have V belts it could be loose belts, "not smooth at all" does not sound like just a little air in the fluid.
If air is entrained in the fluid it will just keep circulating, only time gets all of it out.
I have to remove and replaced hoses. I reconnected but never bled system. I have it raisedd now. Does the vehicle have to be on?

Creed

mccullek

That just sounds like air in the system. Lift tires off ground, start engine and turn wheel from side to side 20 times (full turns from far left to far right), then turn off and remove cap. You will prob see some foam and bubbles. Wait about 5 mins, then put top back on and repeat. Do this until no foam or bubbles, and that will prob solve the issue. You might have to add some fluid too, so have some on hand when doing this procedure.

Mine sounded exactly like that after rebuilding the steering gear box. Once I got all the air out,those Sounds cleared up. There are some procedures to check out the entire steering system in the TM should the above steps not work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks