• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering box Failure

shannondeese

I Just got the box seperated and found one of the steering pucks broke off inside the box, along with needles and a nut - Kinda makes me wonder about it . I will try to post a few pic's - Anyone else had this kind of thing before ?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How freely are those steering pucks supposed to turn? When I put new bushings in my steering box, I noticed that they did not turn as easy as I thought they would bring that they were bearings. I think I looked in the TM but didn't find an answer.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Stretch had issues with his at Haspin last year, I can't remember what was wrong with it, but he ended up putting in a new(used) one. I am wondering if the air assist kit would help save on wear and tear. Are you running 900s?

shannondeese

I will assign a mechanical # to that question monday . I am pretty sure there pre-loaded a bit -Just how much is a good question . I am pretty confident that the one I am working on had been tampered with by what I am seeing so far . It always had a tight sensation turning left and coming back , Then it pro-gressed to not turning left at all , That's when the puck broke off I believe . I am glad I found something inside that made sence to why though. I bought one box for parts from a surplus place in Idaho , He ended up making it right but it was a circus getting the parts to begin with. I do not recommend US mail for shipping a steering box .

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Those appear to be 395s on re centered hemtt rims. I run the same thing and have wondered if they put a lot of strain on the steering box.

shannondeese

I can tell you the box seems small from what I have seen . I think an assist unit would sell like hot cakes . Thanks for the info on it . I am used to Gas motor rigs .

shannondeese

My truck is a 64 on a 76 blazer frame - Last build up had a 454 full roller aluminum heads -with 100 shot of nitrous , th-400 k case 2500 stall converter with a 3 speed stak 2.4-1 4.3-1 gear low ranges , 4:56 gears and arbs front and back . I have had the truck in the snow mainly , but Have a set of 39" trophy truck Baja's and at speeds approaching 105 , it handles nice . But on to this one . I just an Arb for the rear -I will post up those install pic's off there is any intrest there also .

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those appear to be 395s on re centered hemtt rims. I run the same thing and have wondered if they put a lot of strain on the steering box.
Have wondered that as well. After putting them on Elise's 109 we did notice any, and all looseness that was in the steering system.
I'll be adjusting the steering gearbox before she drives it back down to J-Tree (she may have to leave N.Nev before I can, and would be driving solo)

The assist kits probably would sell like hot cakes if they were not $1300.
:ditto:

shannondeese

Got the box completly off the other puck is all nicked up - the bearing seems to be nice and free , I will check the other 2 boxes and see how the pre load feels on those . Its kinda like setting pre load on a pinion bearing , I will do it by feel .

shannondeese

Time has been skim here - Work is eating all the time -Labor day is getting close. I got the damaged puck off and started looking at the amount of pre load on the jam nuts , and its a little inconclusive so far . First off its hard to hold the other side and tighten the nut . I have 2 extra boxes to check there pre loads , one will be slightly loose and one on the same box is tigher . I think at this point I will pre load them a little about .001 like a pinion on a diff . The rollers have to be loaded with the Eye part looking at you on each end , A picture will help make sence of that . The bushings are all nice and snug no wear there . I will post up more info as I progress .Its pretty apperant to me that this box has been worked on before .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks