• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering box leak

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My steering box has been leaking for some time and I need to break down and fix it. I've done a search, looked at the TM and read the article in MVM issue 116 on steering gear replacement but haven't found a answer to my question. Can you replace the shaft seal without pulling the box? From what I've read it's a pretty good chore to pull the box. If it can't be done whithout pulling it I may just keep adding oil as I have been for awhile. Bad part is that I had the engine out awhile back and looking back on it that would have been a good time to fix it :cry:.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may be the little rubber plug that surrounds the horn wire, where it comes out of the bottom of the box. If it is out, the box will leak.

2cents
No, It's leaking out the shaft onto the outside of the frame.

FT, I've thought about the grease thing :wink:.

chris837rj

The grease thing could work. However before you try that there is a gasket swelling conditioning solution you can pick up at the car store. I always consider it a last resort thing to get you home. Something about swelling seals scares me in the long run when you depend on it always working. Anyways that stuff may do it. About the grease though, if you put that in there it is guaranteed to trash the seals if you ever plan run viscus oil again. The whole like dissolves like thing. Good luck!

Chris

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hard part is getting the cover off. I really shouldn't say hard but it's tight with 2 bolts. Order the seal and gaskets and replace when you get it apart. I cut 2 threads off the one really hard to get out bolt to make reassembly easier. Works great now.

dabtl

Taking all the bolts from the steering gear in place can be frustrating at best. The NickD article is a great help. However, if your motor is located a bit to the near side of the box, you can spend a week trying to duplicate Nick's method and go nuts!

What is the simplest way to do it? If you have too much trouble with clearance, loosen the front and rear motor mounts and lift the front engine hoist with a floor crane about an inch. Then you can take out the bolts rapidly. Nothing to it, really. If you do this it increases the work by about 20 minutes at most. But, it is much easier than moving the engine away from the steering gear as in the TM.

I find that if I get frustrated in working on the deuce, it is much simpler to sit down, have a glass of wine and think about the problem a bit. Usually a solution will come to mind or you can have another glass of wine.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks