• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering box leaking........

Drock

So I've had a leak on the drivers side inner fender for a while now do In part at least to the oil cooler lines leaking. I was hoping it was just the oil cooler lines, but of course no luck:doh:. So any suggestions on where to buy a new one? And if there's anything I need to look out for when buying one? Also as I understand it if you do a "high steer kit" you'll need to get a 2WD box? Not saying this is what I'm going to do, just weighing my options:shrugs:

cucvrus

OK here we go. I have bought several at Autozone. I have had 0 problems with them. They are less then $200. rebuilt and are a direct fit. That is about all I am going to say about that. Good Luck. Warranted for life. Do as you wish. Find a Saginaw new one or buy a used one. But I paid $159. for the last one I bought and it has worked flawlessly.

Chaski

There really isn't any new ones except for PSC and maybe a couple others. The box is a Saginaw 800.... I think.

I am hesitant to suggest mystery part store "rebuilt" ones, I have seen one that had a tag & a fresh coat of black paint on it but a casting that belonged in a scrap bin.

They really are not "rebuilt". There is no machining, nothing is done other than replacing a couple bearings, and a few seals. The castings are normally OK or not OK. The bores can get scored from contamination and use.

It isn't that big of a project to reseal / re-bearing one with some basic tools (click type foot pound torque wrench, snap ring pliers, press, a way to clean parts).

The one out of your truck is probably 10X better than a "rebuilt" one that came out of a squarebox with 300,000 miles on it. The seal / bearing kit is only about $30. Also you can tap the box for future hydro assist.

If you want to go crossover now is the time, you just swap to a 2wd sector shaft.

I have done a half dozen boxes, if it is something you want to consider doing I can get you all the needed info.

Hasdrubal

Here's my steering box story. Went to an alignment shop, tells me I need a new box, too much play to do an alignment. So I order one from a local parts supply chain store. Rebuilt, turn in your core arrangement. Pick it up, its clean, new paint on it, drop it off. Get a call 2 hours later, go down to shop, this box has more play than my original box he just removed. So, takes it off, I take it back, tell them what a piece of junk they supply. Then guy at shop tells me I should only source a box from a shop called precision steering, that's all they do, steering boxes. He calls them up and gets one delivered that afternoon. Would have been nice to know this beforehand. So be aware of these so-called rebuilds.

Drock

Well I found an ACdelco part #(36G0114) on rockauto for $123.00. It's a re-man also, not sure if this one would be better or not? If it was defective, it'd be a pain to send back, sooo thoughts?........ :shrugs:

cucvrus

Well I found an ACdelco part #(36G0114) on rockauto for $123.00. It's a re-man also, not sure if this one would be better or not? If it was defective, it'd be a pain to send back, sooo thoughts?........ :shrugs:
Not a bad deal. I have some on CUCV frames and parts trucks yet that have been sitting. I buy rebuilt ones. Not sure why some guys always get the bad parts. Hasn't worked out for me that way. I am a price and warranty shopper. it also has to be a face to face deal most times it works out if by chance I do have a problem. I just thought of it I have a few K5 blazers that have the same gear box. 1991 is still the same on the K5. Still not going to take the time to remove it. $150. don't make my time and effort worth while.

Chaski

If you don't need to send in a core for that AC Delco "reman" it could be a good deal. Whatever you do don't give up your old leaking steering gear. Just you set that thing aside and put it in a large flat rate USPS box so I can add it to my steering box horde.

I doubt that AC Delco "reman" is anything special, it is probably a rebranded Cardone "rebuild" or something similar.

Edelmann 8524 bearing and seal kit is only $18.60 on Rock Auto.

Homebuilt box dry as a bone...

IMG_3671.JPG

Last edited:

Chaski

What did you end up deciding?

If you do end up replacing it I am interested in the core provided it is cheap enough to make it worth the gamble.

Drock

What did you end up deciding?

If you do end up replacing it I am interested in the core provided it is cheap enough to make it worth the gamble.
Well bin busy with work & hurricanes, then I had to buy a new pair of yellow top Optima's, So I'm out of time & money for now. But as I recall there was a $90.00 core charge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks