• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering box replacement time!

3rdmdqm

I have an A2. My wire is held in place with a rubber grommet type plug which fits snug, holds the wire in place and seals the hole it comes out of.

3rdmdqm

Well things are worse then I thought, I just did some more looking in daylight to see how bad things are, and I found out the passenger front spring perch sheared all three rivets/bolts that hold it in place...... Not sure what I'm going to do now, the truck us sitting on a muddy downhill slope, and I kinda feel like I'm standing on one right now :oops: any advice from the wise ones?
Wow James, with that type of impact to shear the bolts like that just wondering if there is internal damage to any of the bearings, seals or the axel itself. Did the entire front axle shift over?

No, it shifted rearward, although after thinking it over, I'm wondering if it actually happened when I attempted to move the truck in reverse under it's own power, all it did was cock the tires worse by a degree or two, and I think i felt it shift but didn't hear a noise due to my ear plugs. So now I'm still sitting on an incline, and the wheels are turned hard left. The wrecker needed them turned so he could get the foot out from under my axle :(. Oh, and I also need to replace the passenger axle boot, it's torn free, but I have a feeling it's been like that and I haven't noticed. Doing the quick Once over in the mornings while building air pressure it's been light enough too see what I needed (checking my normal but okay leaks and such) but not enough to see the torn boot. ATM I'll be trying to find a way to pull her up on level ground and get to work after this snow storm, and I'm probly going with a zipper boot for now until I get time, money, and better weather to do all of the boots, hoses, wires, ect. That the truck will need. :sigh: time to find the nearest fastenall dealer, lol

:driver: just gotta keep my chin up. :beer:

Well since it's only the front perch, it shifted backward only about 2? Inches, how ever far the dogbone on the rear front shackel allows it to move, I did notice the Tcase shifter seemed a bit sticky, but it normally does when it's cold, it didnt seem like much changed

hoop

WOW....Deuce and a half got a wirdy dird in. How did that happen????????????
"all it did was cock the tires worse by a degree or two, and I think i felt it shift "

Heavysteven

I just wanted to say that I feel for you man. Didn't you just buy this truck? Just focus on fixing one thing at a time.

I think you guys have an excellent point about possible damage to the drive train.

Yup, had it about a month. Lol, great truck, it's just impact damage an be a b!tch.... I did mention the only thing that hit the gaurdrail was the driverside tire right? I'll be doing allot of inspecting before going anywhere, one tire/axle taking all the momentum of ~14k lbs and stopping it can't be good for anything. I'm really hoping the the rivets just sheared from me trying to back it up the incline and not from the impact, either way I only have myself to blame, even though I was within the speed limit for that turn (35) I should have taken more consideration for the wet snow on a possibly iced road, even though it was a very gradual merging turn.

Thanks for the advice though guys, your always a big help [thumbzup]

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
World is not lost....those rivets sheared from the impact, nothing else... they are softer material than it appears and may work loose anyways after decades of abuse. It is common practice to replace those rivets with 7/16" grade 8 bolts, for which the holes need to be bored over accordingly.

Repair can be done in the middle of the field with some hand tools and a cordless drill (or better if you had a generator) but... by all means, make sure truck is well chocked and frame safely lifted and firmly supported. :!:

Disassemble/ remove/ clean/ inspect spring perch, most likely it is re-usable. Remove remaining rivet heads by drilling out some material in the center of the shaft (3/16" followed by 5/16" bits) and use a good punch and (big)hammer to complete the job. Same on the frame. Then clamp perch in place with all holes aligned, bore ONE hole at a time (7/16" drill bit), put in a grade 8 bolt&nut (L= 1-3/4" for 1 or 2 of them depending on crossmember design, rest is 1-1/4") and tighten. Proceed to the next bolt hole and so on, there is easy access to 4 of 5 holes, more than enough to get you rolling again.

G.