• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering column knocking

04mustang

So I have been driving my dads hmmwv around for a while (M998 1990year) and I had noticed a knocking noise coming from the steering when I would turn the wheel.
I went digging for the source of the knocking and determined it was coming from the U-joint under the dash at the very end of the column mount. When I turn the wheel, regardless of direction, the edges of that U-joint are hitting the column mounts and causing a knocking sound.
I have asked this on Facebook but I wanted to ask it here as well and see if anyone has had this kind of issue before and if so what did you do to resolve it.
Some of the suggestions that came from the other site were that the steering box could be loose on the frame rail, also that the U-joint could have came loose and slide up the column causing it to interfere.
I have not been able to look the truck over in more detail to see if that ideas are what it is just yet.
The photo is of where it is knocking.

Thank you,
Corey

Attachments

Sintorion

I have a metallic knock when turning right and hitting a bump (like when I turn out of my driveway over the curb) that I have been trying to trace for a while. Not sure if it is the same as your noise, but I am going to look at the steering column. I was thinking that my tie rod was hitting the sway bar, but doesn't seem to be the case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks