• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Dampener

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Another project done on my m1078. Fabricated and installed a steering dampener. I was going to do a dual set up
however this seems to work nice . I can always add another shock if needed.. Much less feedback from the road,
Pot holes etc. It does take a little more effort to make quick turns. The steering will still roll back to straight on its
Own with very little effort.. 2B4C4FF7-6F16-4F78-B739-C8AB14677A7A.jpegEA57B7F3-1C2B-4E6E-8A7F-6D10CDB9545E.jpeg82CC0958-D318-4565-846D-12481EF5A315.jpeg

Attachments

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you getting a lot of feedback from pot-holes, etc? I've done a bit off-road and also our roads have lots of pot-holes, etc and I really don't notice any jerking of my wheel..... on the contrary the power steering is ultra powerful and my truck tracks perfectly straight......

Very cool project - I'm just wondering if there might be more up with your steering or they changed something with my truck because I really didn't envision needing something like this. :unsure:

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
My truck seems to drive very nice with or without the dampener. I still have a vibration (tire? ) that comes and goes.
Nothing at lower speeds, 50/55 but at 60 and above its there sometimes…. I thought it might be the start of death wobble?
The dampener didn’t make any difference on that problem. However it’s much more comfortable to drive when hitting a pot hole
Or dropping a tire off the edge of the road etc.
Going to swap tires around to see if I can narrow down the problem….
I would like to purchase new tires but it’s not going to happen until I get a few other projects finished..

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly I think you will find the tires are flat spotted and ultimately on their way to being rotten - the vibration comes and goes as a result of the flat spots aligning or opposing and canceling each other out. My 2008 tires did this trick but did round back out and stop after daily driving my truck for 6 months. They were rotten though and I blew a front tire after running them for about 8k miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks