• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Gear Box Help

mccullek

I have rebuilt my steering gear box, but still have a small problem. I have it completely reassembled with the exception of the end cap. No matter what I have tried, I cannot get the cap to push in far enough to give me room enough to get the retaining ring into the locking grooves. I suspect that maybe the O-ring is the wrong size (too thick), but I cannot verify that since there was no O-ring when I took the box apart. I think someone had opened it previously, and then just threw it back together and decided not to finish the job.

I have concerns about my rebuild kit already, because the seal and dust cover for the pitman shaft were the wrong size. I found replacement pieces elsewhere locally, so that issue is resolved, but since I am having such a hard time with end cap, I suspect that my end cap O-ring is too thick? Is there some secret or easy way to install that end-cap? Does anyone know how thick the O-ring should be so I could at least figure out quickly if I am just wasting my time or if that might be my issue?

I've watched multiple videos, and while everyone seems to struggle installing the retaining ring, they all seem to have enough space around the cap to at least push their ring into place. The only way I can get my ring in the groove it to push hard enough that the cap pops out on one end, but then it makes it impossible to get the ring to seat all the way around. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing and haven't figured it out yet, but the idea that I'm wasting time due to having the wrong O-ring concerns me.

Can anyone tell me how thick the O-ring should be, and a part number or something if possible? Also, any tips on how to get the cap in far enough without destroying the O-ring would be appreciated. I've pushed on it over and over and taken my rubber mallet and tried to pound it in, but it doesn't seem to be able to push through that o-ring. It's like the O-ring is too thick and it is blocking the cap from pushing in far enough. If I could verify the size of the O-ring, that would at least tell me that I have the wrong part, so if any anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mccullek

I have rebuilt my steering gear box, but still have a small problem. I have it completely reassembled with the exception of the end cap. No matter what I have tried, I cannot get the cap to push in far enough to give me room enough to get the retaining ring into the locking grooves. I suspect that maybe the O-ring is the wrong size (too thick), but I cannot verify that since there was no O-ring when I took the box apart. I think someone had opened it previously, and then just threw it back together and decided not to finish the job.

I have concerns about my rebuild kit already, because the seal and dust cover for the pitman shaft were the wrong size. I found replacement pieces elsewhere locally, so that issue is resolved, but since I am having such a hard time with end cap, I suspect that my end cap O-ring is too thick? Is there some secret or easy way to install that end-cap? Does anyone know how thick the O-ring should be so I could at least figure out quickly if I am just wasting my time or if that might be my issue?

I've watched multiple videos, and while everyone seems to struggle installing the retaining ring, they all seem to have enough space around the cap to at least push their ring into place. The only way I can get my ring in the groove it to push hard enough that the cap pops out on one end, but then it makes it impossible to get the ring to seat all the way around. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing and haven't figured it out yet, but the idea that I'm wasting time due to having the wrong O-ring concerns me.

Can anyone tell me how thick the O-ring should be, and a part number or something if possible? Also, any tips on how to get the cap in far enough without destroying the O-ring would be appreciated. I've pushed on it over and over and taken my rubber mallet and tried to pound it in, but it doesn't seem to be able to push through that o-ring. It's like the O-ring is too thick and it is blocking the cap from pushing in far enough. If I could verify the size of the O-ring, that would at least tell me that I have the wrong part, so if any anyone can help, it would be appreciated.
Update: I guess this was the correct O-ring after all. After watching a few more videos, I got some new ideas. Again, the right tool for the job and knowing how to use it helps.

I got two good pry bars, wedged one in on one side of the end cap, then wedged the other one into the opposite side and used the first bar to keep side 1 in place while using the other prybar to wedge side two into place.

The key was to use the bend in the prybar to get leverage against the cap. I then put the prybar down into the groove the retaining ring seats into, and used that to get a grip while I leveraged the cap into place. Once you have the cap seated all the way in, it’s simple to put the retaining ring in by hand.

Took maybe 30 seconds to get things in place and then the end cap snapped right in. That made it simple to get the retaining ring in. It was almost as comical as the pitman arm dilemma I had. A difficult job was suddenly a breeze.

I could rebuild One of these boxes in less than two hours now. Maybe less. Experience and knowing what to do makes a big difference.

For anyone having an issue in the future, the pry bars I used came from Harbor Freight. Image attached. Two of those make this job very easy.

Attachments

Last edited:

mccullek

Thanks for the information, I'll be using this soon on my own .
I'm no motor head or mechanic really, so if I can do it, anyone can. I can read and watch YouTube, so if you can do that and have the tools and know-how, you can rebuild these. I bought an LRT-110 crane and rebuilt the swing gear box on that thing, and it was a monster, at almost 300 pounds. Just getting it removed and then re-installed was a feat for me. After that, I knew I could rebuild anything if I put my mind to it. Even though I had a few headaches with this thing, it was a breeze compared to the crane's swing gear box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks