• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Gear Box

jim1131

Just received my "Govplanet" truck and as expected it needs several parts including the Sheppard steering gear box. Unfortunately it looks like its a rare part these days and no one has them available. I also did some research on Sheppard steering gear boxes and found that the company has been sold and is no longer manufacturing this particular gearbox. I guess im looking for an alternative replacement gearbox and want to know what else will fit on a REV truck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you could look for a residue REV truck that has the steering box on it. Then, you'd have other parts you may need or you could sell them. Some of the residue trucks go fairly cheaply, but then you still will have to add shipping from either CA or GA.

mccullek

I posted about this a few months ago…going to be a big problem for owners, AM General is having to scramble as well I’m told.
t
I just rebuilt a Saginaw box for my Iron Planet purchase. That was the only major defect on the HMMWV, other than a lot of small piddling issues like wipers, wiper sprayer, missing lights, etc. It was not that difficult to rebuild. Hardest part of was getting it off the vehicle. If you can find a way to test it before putting it back on, that would help even more. I know they make a test machine for these things, and that would have saved me some redundant work on mine.

I rebuilt my box, re-installed it and instantly the low-quality pitman seals failed. I found you can get a better seal at the local parts store for $10, then replaced it while still on the machine and it was a relatively easy fix, so if pitman seals are leaking, you don't even have to take the box off to fix that issue on that Saginaw box. That was about a 30 min repair.

However, once I got that pitman seal replaced, the low-quality seals I originally had failed at the input shaft too, and that one did require me to remove the box again. If you didn't mind removing the generator, you could probably replace that seal as well without removing the box from the HMMWV. I didn't want to fool with the Generator, so I just removed the steering gear box and replaced those seals. I was glad I did it that way after all too, because the retainer cap O-ring was poor quality too and looked as if it was leaking some as well, so I replaced that with the new and better O-ring that came with my new kit I got at the local parts store. All is working well now.

But yes, I am no mechanic, and I rebuilt my box. The Sheppard box looks much smaller, so maybe easier to rebuild than the Saginaw? I don't know, but don't be afraid to try if you can find the correct repair kits. And if some local repair shop has a test bench for them, pay them $20 or whatever to test it so you know it doesn't leak before reinstalling. It would be worth the costs. If you get good quality seals right up front, you shouldn't have the issues I had though.

On the Saginaw, search out a repair kit for a 1979 Malibu Classic, as that is what I used to find my local seal kits and they were cheaper and better quality than the kit I got from one of the military parts sites. Just be aware that there are two different input shaft sizes, and the one for the HMMWV is the larger input shaft.

rcamacho

I just finished rebuilding a Sheppard box on an 1151a1. Seals are available from Sheppard as well as another aftermarket company. Internal parts are OEM only so if a M83P2 box needs hard parts the only option it’s to send it back to Sheppard for rebuild or core.

I have a post on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgejesse

Dumb question but how does one know a steering box is bad? My 1165 came with a PS issue. Air in fluid, bad noise. Bled it out, power steering took hold. Sat for another few weeks and air must have gotten in the system all over again.

My guess is that I have a leak in the hoses because I noticed some fluid…. But how would one know if a power steering box or a pump was bad?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just rebuilt a Saginaw box for my Iron Planet purchase. That was the only major defect on the HMMWV, other than a lot of small piddling issues like wipers, wiper sprayer, missing lights, etc. It was not that difficult to rebuild. Hardest part of was getting it off the vehicle. If you can find a way to test it before putting it back on, that would help even more. I know they make a test machine for these things, and that would have saved me some redundant work on mine.

I rebuilt my box, re-installed it and instantly the low-quality pitman seals failed. I found you can get a better seal at the local parts store for $10, then replaced it while still on the machine and it was a relatively easy fix, so if pitman seals are leaking, you don't even have to take the box off to fix that issue on that Saginaw box. That was about a 30 min repair.

However, once I got that pitman seal replaced, the low-quality seals I originally had failed at the input shaft too, and that one did require me to remove the box again. If you didn't mind removing the generator, you could probably replace that seal as well without removing the box from the HMMWV. I didn't want to fool with the Generator, so I just removed the steering gear box and replaced those seals. I was glad I did it that way after all too, because the retainer cap O-ring was poor quality too and looked as if it was leaking some as well, so I replaced that with the new and better O-ring that came with my new kit I got at the local parts store. All is working well now.

But yes, I am no mechanic, and I rebuilt my box. The Sheppard box looks much smaller, so maybe easier to rebuild than the Saginaw? I don't know, but don't be afraid to try if you can find the correct repair kits. And if some local repair shop has a test bench for them, pay them $20 or whatever to test it so you know it doesn't leak before reinstalling. It would be worth the costs. If you get good quality seals right up front, you shouldn't have the issues I had though.

On the Saginaw, search out a repair kit for a 1979 Malibu Classic, as that is what I used to find my local seal kits and they were cheaper and better quality than the kit I got from one of the military parts sites. Just be aware that there are two different input shaft sizes, and the one for the HMMWV is the larger input shaft.
Sheppard box is almost twice as big as a saginaw.