• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering help

CanadianAR

Hey guys,

I have a 1987 SN 30,000ish M998 A0….

I had Play in my pitman arm, and have been working to replace all the stuff like this anyways.

So I order the newest and best retrofit kit from HPG. The $800 one with new idler, pitman arm and centre link all heaviest etc. moog
Problem
Solvers.

well I can’t get it to work. I’ve been a diesel tech for 20 years and can’t get it to go.
Pitman arm on, into Center link. Ok
Put idler on Center link, it’s a long way away from the holes in the frame. Like an inch. I pushed it a bit to see but I can just see it flexing the steering box…..making it fit will damage it I am positive.

Tried different ways of assembly, loosening the steering box bolts and adjust , nothing.
it’s like the centre link is bent or misbuilt. Unless there’s some instructions with some pretty wild steps, I’m out of ideas, After 6 hrs I gave up and put the bow further ruined original stuff back in to drive home

Any idea before I order the basic bitch A0 arms.

CanadianAR

Yeah I got those. At this point I think the Center link is mis built. When you mount to pitman arm it slopes heavily to the right side, resulting in the idler being way way too low. I’ll likely need a replacement

Reactions: OBX

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's odd. I rebuilt my 998 with the newest, beefiest Moog parts and never had any fitment issues. Kinda sounds like an old part number is mixed in with newer ones, causing this fitment issue.
Keep at it. The improved strength in steering is great peace of mind!
BDGR

CanadianAR

That's odd. I rebuilt my 998 with the newest, beefiest Moog parts and never had any fitment issues. Kinda sounds like an old part number is mixed in with newer ones, causing this fitment issue.
Keep at it. The improved strength in steering is great peace of mind!
BDGR
You’re new idler, it has standoffs built into it, and you use the existing ones on the frame right?

yeah it’ll get the big stuff eventually but can’t disassemble and put the old stuff back on again. And can’t leave it at work.

milk update this weekend. I think the bar is bad.