• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Issues, Possibly 6x6 Drive Issue? HELP!

jpm35a2

Hello all, first post here. I've been watching this forum for awhile when preparing for my first recovery of a 1969 M35a2 Kaiser. We managed to get it back in one piece this fall after a seven hour total drive. No major mechanical issues thanks to y'all. We knew what to look for and what to take care of before take off.

Anyway, the ol' girl developed a problem sometime after we got it settled in at home. One day I took it out for a run (not its first run since home) and noticed an unexpected problem with the steering. When turning corners, it feels as if it may be in 6x6 when it shouldn't be is the best way to described it. The steering wheel and truck will start to rock side to side as if the front diff or u-joints are binding. What's interesting is some day's are worse than others. Also when making turns, I hear a "clank clank" one time on either side from the front end after coming out of a turn. You can feel it in the floorboards as well. The side the sound comes from seems to coordinate with the direction you're turning. Was thinking maybe the springs or something creaking but it sounds really loose metal on metal. Can't see anything loose ...yet. Not sure if that sound has anything to do with this issue but it does need to be taken care of. One particular run stepped over the safety line when suddenly the steering wheel got jammed just when needing to come out of a turn, nearly took the whole dang rig down a creek. So now the steering wheel is hard to return back to center. But it doesn't do this all the time and frees up a bit after a few turns??? Thank goodness it broke free at the last second and I was able to recover and stay on the road. It never did any of this during the whole trip down with many turns and curving roads. Later on I helped a friend pull out some palm trees. With the air switch in the 6x6 position on a flat driveway, we did verify that the transfer did engage into 6x6 but I failed to notice if it disengaged before we no longer had a tree left. At one point when the work was done, I disengaged the 6x6 and pulled forward, it sounded and felt like something was binding in the front end then the truck rolled freely again. I feel that I need to get the whole rig in the air and verify how the TC is engaging and see what's binding in the front end with the wheels turned. I don't have a way to do this at this moment. For starters I may just hook it to a tree and verify for sure if the 6x6 is in fact disengaged like it should be. Just wondering if anyone has ever had something this odd occur or I just need to do some exploratory surgery. I may end up flipping the truck over for sale but not in any hurry. I still don't want to get too in depth with it. Don't mind maintenance and repairs. But don't have all necessary tools for heavy weight jobs yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could quickly remove one of the front hubs (8 each, 1/2" bolts, 3/4"socket). That should unlock the front for sure without the need to even crawl under the thing. Try driving it in tight circles with the hub removed and see how she feels then. If better, then the air shift is not dis-engaging.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel that I need to get the whole rig in the air and verify how the TC is engaging and see what's binding in the front end with the wheels turned. I don't have a way to do this at this moment.
All you need is an 8t bottle jack and 6x6 pieces of wood to crib underneath the front axle. Since you jack up the axle itself, you only lift an inch or so. Rear wheels chocked.

I second the hub removal but do not know if there is an issue with removing the bolts when in fact there is some windup present in the drive train. It might make a bang.

Here is some reading:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/archive/index.php/t-49740.html

I did not find anything else that is of much use. I assume you have and read the TM's?

Note the reference to checking the jack shaft bolts while you are under there. Also check the steering box itself for lube and adjustment.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the two "nubs" on the pinnion shaft inside the steering gear box may be broken.

Is the steering gearbox oil level correct?

I would park it until you do a complete front steering linkage and suspension inspection(including removing the steering gearbox cover), until you identify the issue.

Heavysteven

You should really jack the front axle of the ground and adjust the steering. Could be a combination of small things go though the front axle and work up to the steering box.

welldigger

I would start by pulling the front drive shaft and seeing if that makes any difference. If it doesn't then you can rule out any transfer case problem. If you don't mind me asking where in Texas are you?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You could quickly remove one of the front hubs (8 each, 1/2" bolts, 3/4"socket). That should unlock the front for sure without the need to even crawl under the thing. Try driving it in tight circles with the hub removed and see how she feels then. If better, then the air shift is not dis-engaging.
I would start by pulling the front drive shaft and seeing if that makes any difference. If it doesn't then you can rule out any transfer case problem. If you don't mind me asking where in Texas are you?
BEFORE you do either of the above, jack the front up, BOTH SIDES , because if the t/c is hung up, there may be a load on the front end and by doing the above, you could release the load and GET HURT

stb64

Your front differential may be bad. I happened to me in 1990.
Suddenly, while driving, the truck started feeling stiff, and when i made a sharp turn, the steering wheel started rocking left and right, and i could not make the turn.
I stopped, jacked up one wheel and tried to turn it. The wheel could be turned only approximately 1/8 turn. I removed both hubs and drove home.
Turned out one spider gear in the differential was broken. I still have the broken parts somewhere.

nk14zp

BEFORE you do either of the above, jack the front up, BOTH SIDES , because if the t/c is hung up, there may be a load on the front end and by doing the above, you could release the load and GET HURT
When you do this watch out that the tire might spin and HURT YOU.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your front differential may be bad. I happened to me in 1990.
Suddenly, while driving, the truck started feeling stiff, and when i made a sharp turn, the steering wheel started rocking left and right, and i could not make the turn.
I stopped, jacked up one wheel and tried to turn it. The wheel could be turned only approximately 1/8 turn. I removed both hubs and drove home.
Turned out one spider gear in the differential was broken. I still have the broken parts somewhere.
Yup, that's what I think his problem is.

G.

jpm35a2

Thank you guys for the speedy responses! I'm just going to go in town and get me a good air bottle jack and a couple of beefy stands. I will feel more comfortable with the air operated jack to stand clear when lifting and just set her down safely on the jacks. I will NOT and would NOT feel comfortable touching any part of the drive line if it's under tension which is what we all seem to be agreeing on. I'll get her in the air hopefully this weekend and will keep y'all posted. From the looks of it, I'm starting to see a new front axle coming into view. But I'll double check all the steering components too because I feel I may have more than one issue. If I end up digging into anything I'll take some pics and will probably have many more questions. Thanks again guys!

Where in Texas are you?
Just north of SA.

welldigger

Good luck discovering your problem. Too bad your aren't in east TX or I would have offered assistance. If you end up needing a new axle or diff pm me. I may can help you out.

jpm35a2

Thanks Y'all. There's a couple of viral outbreaks over here right now. As always I got one of 'em, so out for the count this weekend. I've been thinking, (very dangerous), but the more I thought about the issues and researched, as some have said, I may have a gear box issue on top of what's going on with the drive line. The steering wheel is a little tight in one spot only just in the left side. Very annoying when trying to stay straight cause it sticks right where you would be correcting. Then when it's not doing it's rock'n rollin around a corner deal, the steering wheel is difficult to get it to return back to center after a turn. Which obviously still isn't right. So she's grounded for good til I'm back up and kicking again to dig in. Welldigger, I hope it doesn't come to that, but I'll keep in touch. Thanks!

sandcobra164

One thing to consider trying. Remove the outer wheel hub caps on the front axle. They're in the center of the wheel and are held on by eight bolts. Take those off, put some plastic over the splined shafts and try driving it then. If it acts the same, that rules out axle issues and then you're on to the steering issues. Some people get an extra pair of those caps and mill them out to disengage the front axle for road travel and have reported better steering and miles per gallon. I've not tried it yet but I do have an extra set that I probably will mill out in the near future.