• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering issues with m1008

Im baffled i have been reading posts about the steering issues with the m1008s and found nothing that describes my issue. i have replaced all tierod ends and i just replaced the Tierod ends from steering box to the knuckle on the dana 60 also a new steering stabilzer and the thing still wants to wonder its very touchy steering am i blessed or am i missing something my steering wheel is straight and the truck takes a straight path on a good road but once u get up to 55mph or so it gets to trying to follow the road and it seems thier may be a dead spot (steering box worn out maybe anyone else had this problem or is thier something else that could becauseing the sloppy steering King pins seem to be good i just did the brake pads a few weeks ago and i checked both sides no play wheel bearings seemed good im just stumped any help i would be greatful Thanks yall

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
adjust the steering box, this will take out some of the play (may take all)

BigRix

A wander or touchy steering can be caused by excessive toe-in. It is also more prevalent with bias ply tires. The tire problem usually shows up as a vehicle that likes to follow the seams in the asphalt.

:ditto:

if it runs true... and steering wheel is straight..... i would tighten/repair/ or replace gearbox....

had same issue on my civi 97 chevy truck on 38s"... swapped out gearbox with one from junkyard.... fixed problem... (4 years ago ) however its starting to come back.. so.. i will replace with new ( rebuilt ) soon.....

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check to make sure your u-bolts are tight, as well as the spring hanger bushings. Especially check the shackle connections at the frame. If any of these connections are loose, it would cause your issue.

Hope this helps.

donalloy1

Check Drag Link. Should be zero play. More likely Steering Box though. You can adjust but that will be temporary fix. I would dump in new box.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the 4 bolts holding the steering box to the frame are tight. the box doesent have to move much to let it wander.

Hasdrubal

Take it to a competent wheel alignment shop, they'll tell you for sure if its the steering box needing replacement or some other issue, excessive toe-in etc.. thats causing it. Thats how I came to find out that I needed a new box.Be careful where you source it from. I got a new refurbished unit from the local parts place here, when it was installed I was told its a piece of #%^@!, it had more play than my original worn out box. It appears they just refinished the outside. Had to remove it, return and get a box from a dedicated steering box rebuilder, all good now.

Thanks Everyone I was thinking that but definetly good to hear im not crazy my poor cucv changed hands at least 5 times after the goverment got rid of it so im not surprised its just a daily driver and its come along way since when first got it i totally understand the 25 year old trucks its kept me out of trouble lol i cant complain i have had this truck in some bad spots and its never failed me knock on wood these trucks are tougher than we give them credit for :grd: my army m1008 im more proud of its gonna be the one i spend the time with im the third owner since the Goverment [thumbzup]AGAIN THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT

UPDATE**** I have replaced all the powersteering hoses replaced the powersteering pump and i have a reman gear box old one was leaking at the pitman arm shaft and its still touchy steering as in it likes to wander and it seems like im constantly having to over correct while driving but defintely a Firmer steering truck im going to take it to an alignment shop monday and see about lettem check it out. With a new drag link and tierod ends im sure it could use it. ;)

Last edited:
Well ,I want to say happy New Year 2013 to all and give an update as i know i havent posted much in awhile Clifford (red airforce m1008} is doing great i have since done alot of greaseing and some serious maint,To the truck and so far so good. Im happy to report that im throughly enjoying this one though, I have future asperations of really fixing him though he will lose his (Military Cab,Bed) his vin plates and numbers will live on along with his running gear and transmission.Sadly he is to far gone due to the fire dept cutting holes in the roof of the cab and im not sure i can save it.With that being said im on the hunt for a nice civiy 4wd and im going to reuse parts and maybe paint him back to a camo patterned truck but thats aways down the road considering my circumstances and the way the current economy is at this point.As for now hes doing a great job serveing a purpose as a daily driver and a work truck.:]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks