• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering issues

JimmyThompson

I added power-steering to the Deuce a while back and the last time I drove it there were no issues. However, the other day, the steering wheel would only turn to the left and then to the right only enough to straighten the wheels. In essence, no right turns Clyde! I was pulling hard to turn the wheel but no success. I glanced underneath but I didn't see anything like a tree stump or other foreign debris that might have bound something. Any ideas?

As always, thank you very much for your replies.

brianp454

Sounds like a valve issue assuming it is hydraulic. I would start by draining and cleaning with particular attention to any valve or part that moves at the center (or straight forward travel) position.

dmetalmiki

MAKE SURE all the CLAMPS are set in the right place. (in other words) Turn the steering wheel to an extreme lock (either way) to (check sudden binding) with the vehicle front wheels jacked clear of the floor. AT MAX lock the power steering ram with the piston should be at It's (resultant/required) MAX Position also. IF NOT, and after loosening the clamps obviously). Turn steering wheel to a max lock, Set ram to max (correct direction) travel. TIGHTEN CLAMPS. Turn Wheels to max range opposite lock. Piston should move freely to it's max travel also.
The steering wheel should now range full motion back and forth lock to lock. And the power steering piston should travel in and out without coming to a stop. (short). This is all carried out WITHOUT AIR IN THE SYSTEM.
Pressurize the system and you should have correct assist lock to lock. <with correct assist>.
Still problems? discard the pressure regulator valve. (remove and replace with a straight through section of line/pipe) using best practice.
Read the installation booklet? that came with the unit? Keep us posted.

peashooter

Not sure we have enough info to tell you the problem, but here is my input:
-If the truck physically could not turn any further to the right (but it should) then perhaps the Air assist ram's clamp slipped on the tie rod and is preventing further movement in that direction.
-If you just lost the air assist when turning to the right but you can still turn it manually (like before AOM was installed) then you drag link is gummed up/stuck. Try doing the marvel mystery oil thing followed by lots of air tool oil to wash the MMO out.

Here are some links to help:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ng-caution-!!!&p=654167&viewfull=1#post654167
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...oblem-or-not&p=1244791&viewfull=1#post1244791
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...c-adjustment&p=1460205&viewfull=1#post1460205