• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering problems on MB

Miltrans

Hi. I'm trying to fix the steering on a late Willys MB. Someone has "opperated" on the steering and not got it right - AT ALL.
It looks as if the housing is from a M38A1 (larger than MB) but I have a sneaky feeling, that the actual steering coloum with the worm gear is from MB. The function is as if the worm and sector shaft dont match.
How do I tell the parts appart? I can see that the MB shaft with worm and sector shaft on MB and M38A1 have different parts numbers, but I am having trouble finding out what is it I actually have.
Hope someone here has info.
Thanks
Chris

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Properly rebuilding a Jeep steering gear requires a special ream to get the sector shaft bearing clearance right. Too much and you get wobble and play. I say this because my suggestion to you is throw your mismatch gear in the recycle pile and get a reman unit from one of the Jeep parts guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks