• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Stabilizer

Alredneck

Banned
The steering stabilizer is kinda like a ole wives tale, its a myth! It dont do smack for shimmy in the front. Proper set up steering geometry, good maintained parts, are what keep shimmy away as well as balanced tires without defects.

cleb

Would a stabilizer also help in the situation of a front blowout? I have heard that in such a situation the steering wheel will fly from your hands, possibly causing an accident. Would a stabilizer lessen this? I don't have much expierence with such things, so maybe a stupid question. It seems like a stabilizer would also prevent the wheel from flying from your hands when you hit a good sized rock or bump while offroad. I always drive with thumbs out, but getting your elbow smashed into the window/door gets old after the 3rd time or so...

55Cameo

I would think that it should help with the 'steering wheel jerk' but not positive. I'm guessing that it would take a shock with a lot of resistance for quick movement and little resistance to slow movement so that it didn't hinder you. They are had enough to steer on their own.

Staffsargent

When driving my duece down the road, the steering wheel in OK. When the duece hits a pot hole the steering wheel wobbles a little. But it is ok after that. Had the front tires high speed balanced. Frontend tight.

Alredneck

Banned
If you want one you can probably get someone to fab one up or do it your self, I seriously dont think it will solve your problem. I dont know any manufacture that makes a kit for the deuce but if you get on for a one ton truck it might be what your looking for. If you do it post back with your findings. Cameo I understand what you are saying but us guys with even bigger tires than stock deuces will just aggravate the problem further, mine doesnt shimmy going down the road after hitting bumps. Ive done a lot of offroading and just not a big believer in the steering stabilzer, I think it was Peterson Offroad and 4x4 wrote a article a long time ago negating them to. But to each his own I reckon do what ya want its your truck! Good Luck!

Jakob

The steering stabilizer is to reduce any kind of bump-steer you might see. It might reduce the shimmy you get from the bumps, but the "shimmy" I get from bumps is the rear end bouncing around, not the actual front end shaking.