• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering to the right then floats left while hold wheel

CUCV85

Blazer has been pulling to the right
for almost a year, 80% of the time.
Drives fine 20% of the time.
You literally could take your hands of the wheel
- it'd drive straight down the road.
But Now It's starting to drift on me to the left now.
What I mean is when it's pulling to the right all of a sudden bah it'd walk sharply to the left
(from holding wheel secure as it's pulling right, it'd drift to the left,
almost like the steering gear box shaft breaks) scare the bejesus outer ya. What's the worst part, I don't think it's safe to drive anymore and will have to sell/part out.
On my ND reman steering gear box, had truck alignment check three times dead on camber and tow, front end checked out by 3 different places ahhhhhhhhhhh! I've watched these places grab a hold of the wheels and try to wobble them. They tell me everything is tight underneath and are puzzled as to why it's pulling to the right 80% of the time. Now you wondering about breaks and hubs. The hubs looked great 2 years ago when inspected and repacked. The calipers are reman with new hoses, replaced 5 months ago after installing ND reman steering gear box. Totally fed up help, don't wish to sell.

Jake0147

If something's different than a civvy truck here, somebody say so, but I see two things not mentioned-
Check the front universal joints. Turn the wheel all the way one way or the other, lift either front tire, and rotate the wheel, look for the joint to be binding. Lots of alignment shops miss this one.
Check the REAR axle for evidence of loose spring bushing, and hanging brakes including parking brake cables, EVEN IF you never use it. Back axle stuff can steer pretty good, and especially if it's the brakes, you'll swear all day that it's coming from the front, you WILL get feedback in the wheel as if it is. Most alignment shops do check for this though.

rhinob

I am completely stumped about your statement.
Can anyone tell me in another words what was meant.
Any help is very much appreciated.
I once saw where an axle had been shifting fore and aft on the leaf spring causing track issues. Ever been behind a truck where the tail was either left or right of the front end? Same idea.

Watch-out when people speak in 'absolutes.' "Cant be....." "Never could...." I've seen some crazy stuff in the aviation repair and auto repair world. Sometimes you have to get your creative outside the box thinking going. Especially when it take 3 seconds to verify what's not happening and move on.

kassim503

Check your rag joint on the steering column, if you can see where the safety tabs contact the disc part, replace them. And tighten your PS belt too.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Most likely problem is alignment. With a 25 year old vehicle, I would suspect that the underlying cause of the misalignment is worn steering components.

Secondary cause could be a brake dragging due to a stuck caliper.

Barrman

Ball joints, wheel bearings, tire rod ends and drag link ends. Those are the parts in the front end that are meant to wear and are replacable. Look through the manuals, test those parts and replace what needs it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks