• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering tube removal?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loosen the jam nut on the inboard side and back out the stud (or what ever it's correct name is).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Take the motor out and you should have no issues.

I put a new steering box/column in while I had the IP out, It still sucked and took hours.

41cl8m5

Removing the entire unit will take some time and ability. Removing the arm from the gearbox is about the easiest thing to do. There should be alignment marks on both the arm and the shaft to put it back on. You will need to lift the front of the motor until the rear motor lifting bracket is bending against the firewall. The steering wheel needs to be removed. Now comes the fun part fishing the assembly out.

The long shaft is permanently attached to the worm gear and there is no way to remove the outer tube off of the truck without removing everything. Unless you plan on just cutting it off. But the only way to get the gearbox out of the frame is to lit the front of the motor and remove fittings and hoses from the injector pump.

The origanal m35s had a gas motor in them and the steering assembly never changed. The bigger multifuel motor is the issue.

iwantmud

Thanks for the advice. I'm chasing a short in my wiring and I was pulling the dash out for easier access. I decided to pull the steering shaft but that turned into another set of problems. I removed the 4 bolts holding it to the gearbox. Turned the wheel but it never came all the way out. Now I can't get it to go all the way back into the gear box to put the 4 bolts back in.

41cl8m5

Look in TM 9-2320-361-34 chapter 12 page 12-1, that shows the steering shaft assembly. Page 12-7 shows the breakdown on the gearbox. Also you can see a complete breakdown in TM 9-2320-361-34P, Figure 115.
On Page 12-9 in the -34 part #5 there are two studs on bearings that slide in the channel on the gear #13. If the outer most stud is not on the gear do to a miss alignment then the shaft will not seat properly. You also have two bearings number 25 on each side of the gear that helps with the turning of the shaft. the ball bearings are in a circle and if one are more come out it will be impossible to re-seat the gear back into the box.
Also the shims that go between the tube and the box are there to set the pre-loading so steering play is at a minimum #23 at least 1 is needed but a kit will give you 10 If I remember correctly each one is .002" sandwiched between #22 gaskets. The gaskets are almost impossible to find I had to make a set.

Hope this was helpful but looks to be one of two things, if its just a misalignment issue it will be a pain but can be done in place. If its the ball bearings out of place than the only way to fix that is on a bench.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks