• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Wheel Lock Cable

CGregson

Super dumb question, but I cannot find it covered in any TM, or internet search for pics, or search on this forum. What's the correct way to use the steering wheel lock cable? Any pics or real world experience out there? I know it's an odd/obvious question, but I doubt anyone can find documentation covering the best way to utilize the most crucial item in HMMVW security standard on the truck.

riderdan

Pull it out, loop it around one of the steering wheel spokes, and lock it to itself.

If you live in a high-crime (urban or suburban) area, it adds some security. But it would be pretty easy to defeat with a large bolt cutter. Here in my rural town of ~8000, people leave their vehicles running in the grocery store parking lot (running the AC in the summer and heat in winter) so I don't worry too much. I don't think I'd rely solely on what is basically a bike lock if I lived in NY or CA

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes we would wrap it around a spoke a couple of times to cut down on the turning ability of the steering wheel. That is the purpose, it must be wrapped around a spoke! Any where along the outer wheel and I can still drive your vehicle away! In high crime area I would say wrap it several times around the spoke and even turn your wheels hard one way or the other!

Wish I would have seen the video a few years back when teaching kids how to drive, it would have been awesome!

Wire Fox

Pull it out, loop it around one of the steering wheel spokes, and lock it to itself.

If you live in a high-crime (urban or suburban) area, it adds some security. But it would be pretty easy to defeat with a large bolt cutter. Here in my rural town of ~8000, people leave their vehicles running in the grocery store parking lot (running the AC in the summer and heat in winter) so I don't worry too much. I don't think I'd rely solely on what is basically a bike lock if I lived in NY or CA
I leave my car running on short gas station hop outs all the time here in Indy! ...but the key comes with me while it runs, the doors lock, and the car won't go into gear without the key present...

But yeah, that cable wheel lock? I don't trust it at all. I had a guy try to steal my bike downtown a few years ago. Extortion at its finest. He approached me, asking for money to "watch over" my bike that I had just locked up. I declined, but knew he was up to no good, so I just waited right inside the building for about a minute. Sure enough, he sits by my bike, looks around a few times, and out comes the bolt cutters from his backpack. I rush outside and literally in the time it took for me to run 20 feet and go out the door, two officers had him on the ground...he clearly didn't actually use his eyes when he was looking around. Sucker didn't even actually get his bolt cutters onto my bike lock before getting put on the ground, but I know he would have snipped it right off like nothing if he hadn't been stopped so quick.

jeffy777

I leave my car running on short gas station hop outs all the time here in Indy! ...but the key comes with me while it runs, the doors lock, and the car won't go into gear without the key present...
What kind of HMMWV Magic key system are you talking about? My doors don't have locks. My bagels do not have locs. My Goldie does not have locks.

Wire Fox

What kind of HMMWV Magic key system are you talking about? My doors don't have locks. My bagels do not have locs. My Goldie does not have locks.
Well, notice that I said car... My HMMWV has nothing yet but the built-in cable. It greatest security feature is that the transmission is not yet operational. A creative individual would realize that reverse DOES work, and could steal my HMMWV in reverse if they first pushed it away from the wall its backed up to.

alphaseventwo

The cable is a soft deterrent at best, but it has kept my teenager from taking the hmmwv out! I leave an older, still active, Iphone hidden in the truck when I'm roaming around. The "find my Iphone" app is pretty spot-on. Also, the trucks have a kind of a distinct sound when starting, that I've noticed you can hear from inside buildings pretty well. Lastly, I'd like to believe that any Police Dept. worth anything could find a HMMWV driving around in short order- if not the truck has been trailered, covered and shipped out rapidly anyway. I hope none of us ever have to go through the pains of having one stolen- good luck friends.

riderdan

The cable is a soft deterrent at best, but it has kept my teenager from taking the hmmwv out! I leave an older, still active, Iphone hidden in the truck when I'm roaming around. The "find my Iphone" app is pretty spot-on. Also, the trucks have a kind of a distinct sound when starting, that I've noticed you can hear from inside buildings pretty well. Lastly, I'd like to believe that any Police Dept. worth anything could find a HMMWV driving around in short order- if not the truck has been trailered, covered and shipped out rapidly anyway. I hope none of us ever have to go through the pains of having one stolen- good luck friends.
I consider the truck's starting procedure itself to be a soft deterrent :) I often leave it in gear (R or D) when parked. Between the non-standard ignition switch and the neutral safety, you can stop a good number of thieves: most nitwits couldn't figure out how to start it.

gcbennet

Chances are most people aren't aware of the pause for the wait light to go out and will kill the batteries trying to start a cold engine. lol..

Jakob1944

I had a Tractor way back when and when I went some where or shut down for the day I would turn the steering wheel all the way over in one direction then run the chain through the steering wheel......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks