• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Wheel Lock Feature m1009 missing?

Bighorn

I noticed my 86 m1009 has no steering wheel lock feature.
It is either missing, or was not there to begin with.

I had tried to tow my m1009 over the snow last week and couldn't get the wheel to lock the way my 76 K5 does.

Pulled the key, turned the wheel, no lock.

Not complaining mind you.
A couple of tow straps held the wheel in position for towing.
Probably better than relying on the tiny lock feature anyways, but it is over the snow.

Any cucv m1009 owners confirm that their steering wheel does not lock upon removal of the key?
Could be the po did it when he put this aweful aftermarket wheel on.

cucvrus

Helpful hint. Get an old towel. Wrap it around the steering wheel base. No blow compressed air at the 12 o'clock position where the steering wheel meets the column. Now spray some good lube into the same area. Work the key back and forth. The lock pin is in there it is just bound up in dirt and dust. Lacking lube for 30 years. When you get it working squirt some good old motor oil in there a little bit goes a long way. Report back. Good Luck and be patient.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed my 86 m1009 has no steering wheel lock feature.
It is either missing, or was not there to begin with.

I had tried to tow my m1009 over the snow last week and couldn't get the wheel to lock the way my 76 K5 does.

Pulled the key, turned the wheel, no lock.

Not complaining mind you.
A couple of tow straps held the wheel in position for towing.
Probably better than relying on the tiny lock feature anyways, but it is over the snow.

Any cucv m1009 owners confirm that their steering wheel does not lock upon removal of the key?
Could be the po did it when he put this aweful aftermarket wheel on.
Just tie off the steering wheel with the seat belt .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks