• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Wheel Replacement?

cjm0316

Anyone have an 813 with the big wheel and replaced it with a smaller one? This was asked months ago and got no replies, just thought I would raise the issue again. My 6foot 280# frame does not do well behind the wheel of my new 5ton. Any ideas or suggestions?

Yes, I am on a diet, so we can work past THAT one....

devilman96

I am getting ready for doing the same on my M35... I think your wheel is smaller but is same size shaft and so on... First ya gotta find a wheel ya want and then build an adapter for it using the center out of your old steering wheel.

Not a simple bolt up but not that bad of a project ether... I have a lathe and mill but I am sure you could use common tools to fake it with out much of a fight.

I will post pics of it when I get it done but will proably be 2 - 4 weeks before I have the time to bother with all of the other crap I am trying to re-invent.

devilman96

Been wondering myself since I've done the same... I am TRYING to find a reasonable but good looking 18"... Most of the newer tractors are using those but the aftermarket custom jobbers are outrageously priced ($300). Wheels seem to go from 20-15" with not a lot in between so let me know what ya find.

devilman96

I just went to double check... mines 22"... I went combing through the parking lot at work looking at different sizes and such the other day... Rangers and S10's have a similar cab size and use an 18" wheel... seemed pretty manageable being 4 inches smaller than the one in the truck. A 15 - 16" can be had for 40$, a lot cheaper but I thought the "look" would be to small???