• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheel size and height

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen the interior of a lot of trucks here. I have a couple of questions. I may be mistaken, but a few of you appear to have smaller steering wheels? Maybe on the 5 ton with p/s you don't need the larger wheel?

Plus, it looks like EVERYONE'S steering wheel gives them more than the six inches of room between the wheel and the drivers seat.

OK, OK, now that everyone has had the chance to jump on my 'six inches' comment, it's NOT a lot of room. I can't seem to get my drivers seat down any further. UP AND BACK, no problem. The seat cushions themself lift up on the bottom and out on the back one. But I can't lower the drivers seat much.

So, is this correct? Are there any solutions? I know where a couple of 5 tons are. I didn't look at their steering wheels, though their 'p/s' was complete except the hydraulic pump was missing on both.

Sometimes being 6'1" is a pain...

Jones

You're right about getting by with a smaller wheel with P/S 'cause you wouldn't need as much leverage. I haven't paid a lot of attention to wheel size myself other than to know, in rough terrain, the driver needs all the help he can get keeping deuces and up - pointed in the desired direction.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
One of the dueces I recently sold had a smaller steering wheel than my regular duece. It was also a little thicker on the spokes and the circular part. Niether had power steering.

Dieselsmoke

The steering wheel on all the five tons I've seen is the same as the deuce. The steering column is mounted at a lower angle on the five tons to keep height at the same level as a deuce for air transport. I've had to raise the steering column on all of my five tons as the seat pushes my legs up into the steering wheel on the five tons and makes it rather uncomfortable and hard to turn. I like the "tool box" seats better than the spring seat, I seem to fit more comfortably.

Scoobie-Steve

wallew

Is this the style pump those 5 toners had? I will be in the market for a smaller wheel once I get the power steering installed. Let me know what you find.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wallew,
at 6'4" I know exactly what you are talking about. As part of my power steering conversion I cut and raised the column a few inches and now there are 8-9 inches between seat and wheel. It sure makes a difference!
See attached pic.

Scoobie-Steve,

yes, I got that pump from an LDS 465-1A 5 ton multifuel, it perfectly fits on any multifuel engine like the LDS 427 in the picture. I just don't know if in a std. deuce there is enough room between engine and radiator to fit the pump. It should fit. My deuce has a shortened radiator from a bigger International truck.

Gerhard

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of steering columns and healthy eaters, John Tennis makes a shortened steering shaft to assist those of us who have failed the fitness program for re-uping!

Bcurtman

How about some more info, details, pictures on how you cut and raised your steering column. Sounds exactly like what I would like to do.