• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering woes

tgejesse

Hey all, I’ve been trying to get my m1165a1 up and running when I can get to my dads building 3 hours from home…. So getting this problem solved has been a nightmare.

Issue: insanely difficult steering, foamy power steering fluid and a HORRID noise coming from (I believe the booster).

I started by replacing the power steering pump because I was convinced that was the issue. Well here I am, new power steering pump and same issue. Great.

So what’s next… hydro boost or the dreaded Sheppard steering gear (lord help me).

here is a video of the sound coming from the (gear? Hydroboost?) and I’m wondering if someone who has dealt with a bad boost or gear recognizes the symptoms (or the sound from hell in the video).

happy Friday

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you lift the front end 15 degrees and turn the steering lock to lock 20 times to purge the air in the system?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unplug the time delay module from the Cadillac valve and see if the sound changes.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put your hand on the Cadillac valve and see if you can "feel" it when the noise appears, they are known to make noise but usually the noise changes when the valve status changes.
You can also use a screwdriver to your ear touching the other end to the brake booster, Cadillac valve etc.

tgejesse

Foamy fluid is air in the system where it should NOT be.
I think I might have an air gremlin. I wonder if I could some how put positive pressure at the reservoir to see if any of my return lines are leaking.
I bet something crazy is up like a line that is letting air in but not showing any obvious signs of leaks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Insanely difficult steering,? Does that mean the wheel is hard to turn?

Do you have any hydraulic winches?

Hydroboost typically when bad will give you a hard pedal with no assist.

Is anything leaking?

On a previous thread it was suggested a hose can be the issue.

They are all field replaceable fittings which means the hose can be changed and the fittings can be reassembled. Use the correct hose!

See if you can isolate where the sound is coming from?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks