• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stencils

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SETOYOTA, your machine sounds very cool. Beats my method of drawing the lettering out on manilla folders, then cutting with an Xacto knife! :D

I'm with Mogman on possibly overstressing the little grey cells, but I may have to look into one of these newer machines and see if old dogs can learn new tricks.

As regards the old Marsh-style machines, they are big, heavy, limited to one font, one size, and take some experimentation to figure out how to best use them. But once you do, they produce adequate, and period correct, stencils.
They work purely manually. You clamp your card stock in where you want it, spin the wheel on top so the arrow lines up with the desired character, then pull the cut handle. The machine punches out the character and advances your card one space, so you select the next character with the wheel and repeat until you are done. Normally, you pull out your finished product, cuss a bit because you missed a letter, and do it again til it's right. ;)

Cheers

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 of the old Marsh machines. 1 inch and 1/2 inch. I no longer use them. $75 plus the freight and packaging for either one.

m715mike

I am getting ready to stencil my M1097R1 and want to use USMC markings. Specifically, I want to put the "USMC 6XXXXX" serial number on the hood and tailgate. I've been looking at a lot of pictures on GovPlanet of the Marine Corps trucks that are currently being auctioned. I do not see the "M" described by @M813rc in post #7 of this thread. Also, in several pictures, it appears that the serial number on the hood and tailgate was done with vinal stickers; whereas, the RUC is painted on and the serial number and RUC are different fonts. Attached are two pictures from the same truck. Note the "M" in the serial number on the hood and the "M" in the RUC under the driver's door.

Does anyone know what font was used on the hood for the serial number. And, am I correct that the hood is a vinal sticker?

Hood - USMC 2.jpgUnit Marking.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what font was used on the hood for the serial number. And, am I correct that the hood is a vinal sticker?
The vinyl stick-on letters were exceptions to the rule, and I only saw them on some Humvees in the motor pools. The issue the Marines had with those is that they peeled off rather readily. Several of the Humvees in son's motor pool had vestigal shadows from where the stickers used to be, the markings having been reapplied with stencils and paint.

Cheers

m715mike

The M1097R1 now has USMC vehicle number vinyl stickers!

Jeepstickers.biz made the stickers for me. I’ve purchased vinyl stickers from them before and was very impressed with their prices, customer service and quality. If you are not cutting your own vinyl, I recommend Jeepstickers.biz. And, now, they have the font for USMC vehicle numbers….

BF2CBB01-A01D-426F-BD8E-F07612894B7C.jpeg6291828E-AC2D-4C9D-871B-F35597313F24.jpeg153D611E-EA17-4171-ABEE-BF6087CFF3EB.jpeg45B18A0D-6FEE-4F98-AC5D-21AF3AA3AEF7.jpeg

spankybear

People with cutters can download Marsh fount here

Does anybody know what fount the USMC uses for the vinyl numbers on their HMMWV

missionexpert

If you can find a clear image of a marking, it can be easy to render a vector file and make a duplicate. I'd be happy to try and cut some markings if you can find an image of what the marking or logo you want made. Send me a message.

spankybear

If you can find a clear image of a marking, it can be easy to render a vector file and make a duplicate. I'd be happy to try and cut some markings if you can find an image of what the marking or logo you want made. Send me a message.
I did this with some LMTV data plates... My first try with the tilting cab data plate. I used Inkscape. Not perfect but good enough.

Before and after...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks