• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Step-by-Step Ouverson Install

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installing the Ouverson lock-out hub and axle on the forward-rear dual of my
1971 M35A2 took less than one hour. Safety first!

Tools used:

20 ton bottle jack
chock-blocks
drain pan
rags
1/2" drive, 3/4" socket
1/2" drive breaker-bar
3/8" allen wrench
anti-seize compound
boat-trailer wheel bearing grease
neighbor

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Demonstrating some ignorance here...does the hub only go on one side? I envisioned hubs on both sides, but have never actually seen them up close. Well, "jwaller" is coming over tomorrow, so I'll take a peak at his. Not sure what his are though.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
very nice. They don't stick out from the wheel, a big plus. Now if only that bling in the center could be subdued..

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
alphadeltaromeo said:
Demonstrating some ignorance here...does the hub only go on one side? I envisioned hubs on both sides, but have never actually seen them up close. Well, "jwaller" is coming over tomorrow, so I'll take a peak at his. Not sure what his are though.
Just one side of any rear axle is necessary. At least for the purpose of unlocking just one axle for highway use.

Here is an informative thread telling all about that. There are others linked within that provide even more good info.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6840

sermis

Put some anit-seize on the bolts. When I tried to take mine off I had to use an impack to get them loose.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used LOCTITE C5-A Anti-Seize Compound. I took that photo step, but it came out blurry. Anti-Seize is one of the most useful and important tools used in reassembly in my garage. If I don't use it, I can sense it. I hate the feeling.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks partner the documentary is flawless. The shot of you with the M915 looks great too. I hope to do both front wheels when I get home from Korea. Can you give us a road test report on how it performs?

MikeON

Has anyone running flipped hubs put an Ouverson on a rear axle? It seems like the hub would stick out beyond the wheel a lot.

sermis

I am running them on my truck. Both front and drivers side rear front. I have the truck apart right now but there are some pic's posted. My rims are custom and about 3" wider so they don't really stick out.

KaiserM109

Hey, thanks. Between this thread and a link in it, I got some questions answered. I'm a newby with an M109 (deuce with a box) and I plan to fix it up for highway and trail. I figure if 4x4 is good, 6x6 is half again better.

The next thing that I'm curious about, and maybe there's a thread about it, is the tires that hot rod deuce is running. I'm really leary about the original cross bar NDTs on the highway.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installing the Ouverson lock-out hub and axle on the forward-rear dual of my
1971 M35A2 took less than one hour. Safety first!
Since wrapping this little project up, I replaced the eight 1/2" x 2" Allen head bolts with black alloy ones that I bought at Ace Hardware for $1.95 each. They are black instead of silver and look much better. It makes the hub look a little less, "after the fact." When I paint the truck and the wheels, everything will be green except the Ouverson hub, which I will leave black. That's just to bring attention to it so I can advertise a little for Randy Ouverson and OD Iron, should anyone happen to ask about it.

Attachments

MikeON

I got a set of 3 Ouverson hubs plus double spline axle from tie6044. Installation was quick and easy. The axle had a shoulder bolt on one end, and no instructions which way it was to be installed. I called Ouverson's and left a message - they called back a few hours later (late Friday evening) and said the shoulder bolt goes toward the differential and it positions the axle lengthwise. Used blue removable loctite and torqued everything 75 ft lb.
Noticeable improvement in turning radius and rolling resistance :wink: - also very noticeable loss of traction in the wet grass. That's why I wanted something I could re-engage quickly as needed.

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it necessary to jack the wheel off the ground like that? I'm under the impression that the axle/hub provides no weight support.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks