• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

step replacement options

Guruman

Not so new member
I've had the cab tilted up for a few days trying to figure out how to get this PTO installed for the winch setup, and I noticed that one of the cable sections on my step/ladder/whatever to get into the cab is starting to show some broken cable strands. Which got me thinking about replacement options.

I could probably swage in a new cable section or source a used or NOS step assembly from somewhere for stupid amounts of cash. But , I hate these things.

Anyone seen or done something better?

coachgeo

be careful leaving it tilted. I did that and one corner of the windshield popped out. Its not happened to anyone else yet though so maybe I just got unlucky.

As to steps.... seen some use large scrap chain.... motorcycle/bicycle design but larger.... though I guess one could use motorcycle size-ish but two rows of it on each side.

If recall right there is a pretty good discussion on this in here already. Search should find it.

Ronmar

The chain ones look interesting, i recall a vid of a truck using them in africa. Looked like they worked well and didn't hang up on the tires when lowering the cab(might be how your cables got damaged). The stub on the end of the cable usually hangs up on the tread and folds back and bends as the cab comes down. Think I would use double row chain though.

you can find buyers brand cable steps thru many truck suppliers($100-150?).

Can probably get used oems from someone scrapping cabs…

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
I was kind of hoping someone already did some engineering to get more of a step than a ladder.

Wondering if I can modify a set of RV powered steps to extend with the door opening? Mounted where the storage/washer compartments are? Moving the washer bottle shouldn't be hard at all.

Depending on the RV steps, I might be able to pick up a set and just narrow them to fit the width of the storage space, cut out the bottom and mount the step tucked up inside the storage space.

Getting in and out of this thing is probably our biggest challenge and the hardest sell for the wife. My daughter already fell out of it once and got banged up pretty good. I'm old enough to break a hip.... figure I gotta come up with something.

Last edited:

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stared a couple years ago engineering and fabrication of electric steps that come down when the door opens but have shelved that idea for a simpler stronger idea. AD589959-DFEA-4472-9DD9-DC4363CBCEDD.jpeg
Here is a quick sketch of my thoughts. Very simple and strong. Yes its terrible have to remember to lift it out of the way but I figure the only time it needs to be up is during rough off-roading and during a cab tilt but if designed properly maybe not during cab tilt.

Guruman

Not so new member
I stared a couple years ago engineering and fabrication of electric steps that come down when the door opens but have shelved that idea for a simpler stronger idea. View attachment 877893
Here is a quick sketch of my thoughts. Very simple and strong. Yes its terrible have to remember to lift it out of the way but I figure the only time it needs to be up is during rough off-roading and during a cab tilt but if designed properly maybe not during cab tilt.
What if you took this design and added a pneumatic actuator to flip the step up and down or just in the up direction, letting gravity do the "down"?

Ronmar

Yea pneumatic would be cool, you might need a bypass to release/lower the steps when the tanks are empty. As mentioned, you would need to be carefull about design and tire clearance when raising the cab.

I had thought about fold-ups using a gas strut, so they automatically retract when you step off them, but pushing them down with your foot when dismounting, might be problematic… chain and cable seem the most trouble free…

Guruman

Not so new member
Yea pneumatic would be cool, you might need a bypass to release/lower the steps when the tanks are empty. As mentioned, you would need to be carefull about design and tire clearance when raising the cab.

I had thought about fold-ups using a gas strut, so they automatically retract when you step off them, but pushing them down with your foot when dismounting, might be problematic… chain and cable seem the most trouble free…
Yeah. I'm just hoping to get more like steps and less like a ladder....

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with you the problem with the cable or chain is it’s a ladder and when exiting it’s always difficult finding that bottom step because it’s hiding under the box. This design would put the step in a visible more natural area.
I’ve added a few extra things on my vehicle that requires air even when the tanks are empty after not running the engine for a period of time so I installed an auxiliary 12 air compressor and small reservoir tank. So pneumatic actuators are in play with my design as well. The step project is later down the road after I finish building the interior of my habitat.

Guruman

Not so new member
I agree with you the problem with the cable or chain is it’s a ladder and when exiting it’s always difficult finding that bottom step because it’s hiding under the box. This design would put the step in a visible more natural area.
I’ve added a few extra things on my vehicle that requires air even when the tanks are empty after not running the engine for a period of time so I installed an auxiliary 12 air compressor and small reservoir tank. So pneumatic actuators are in play with my design as well. The step project is later down the road after I finish building the interior of my habitat.
Thinking about those pneumatic actuators... My thought was if it's designed for gravity (or maybe a spring) to lower the step, then when the truck had no air, the steps would lower, allowing you to get in to start it.

With the hundred or so other projects I have in my head, this will likely never happen...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've had the cab tilted up for a few days trying to figure out how to get this PTO installed for the winch setup, and I noticed that one of the cable sections on my step/ladder/whatever to get into the cab is starting to show some broken cable strands. Which got me thinking about replacement options.

I could probably swage in a new cable section or source a used or NOS step assembly from somewhere for stupid amounts of cash. But , I hate these things.

Chances are that the "cable steps" that are bent happened because the Cab Bushings deteriorated.

The cab slops forward when using the cab jack and then the step gets hung on the front tire (when lowering) if the bushings are in that condition.
The step isn't just bolted onto the truck - or at least it isn't that way on my M1089.

Guruman

Not so new member
Chances are that the "cable steps" that are bent happened because the Cab Bushings deteriorated.

The cab slops forward when using the cab jack and then the step gets hung on the front tire (when lowering) if the bushings are in that condition.
The step isn't just bolted onto the truck - or at least it isn't that way on my M1089.
I just happened to have the cab bushing on the passenger side out this week to facilitate swapping in a winch version of the cab mount. Both the upper and lower busing were in pretty good shape, at least visually.

I'll make a point to check out the drivers side when I get a chance. I do have a set coming from the group buy, whenever they get manufactured.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just happened to have the cab bushing on the passenger side out this week to facilitate swapping in a winch version of the cab mount. Both the upper and lower busing were is pretty good shape, at least visually.

I'll make a point to check out the drivers side when I get a chance. I do have a set coming from the group buy, whenever they get manufactured.
Yessir! I did the same exercise - swapping from non-winch to the winch version cab support. My M1088 got new bushings about a year ago when I did that same swap. No bent steps on that truck because even though they were cracked, bushings on that truck were still "whole".

EDIT: My personal opinion is that the engineer who designed those cab supports should be taken out behind the barn and shot. Then shoot him or her several more times just to be sure that stupidity can't ever multiply.

Last edited:

coachgeo

KISS.

Does not show in video.... but looks like it is the folding type step stool. Put a good way to tuck it away once inside so in an accident it is not a projectile.

Guruman

Not so new member
KISS.

Does not show in video.... but looks like it is the folding type step stool. Put a good way to tuck it away once inside so in an accident it is not a projectile.

While keeping it simple has definite merit, manually dragging the thing in and out each time and finding a place to store it is complicated. every.time.

I'm all for making a complicated investment so that it's simple in the longer term. But, this is basically what I'm doing now in the shop to get in an out all the time.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

ebay.com/itm/254312505907?hash=item3b3634e233:g:lWkAAOSwySlZ-pai&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8CMDu%2FhzqhG%2B%2Ffex8QQSGK2F4n4RWTDkCGDoKAjJlIwesmZNJO2Je0DVqRAcrfA8iED4fAgxHTY6uspWQtK3XFdpvCzTC30wVETNH%2FHDwSgHvS7oIgj0Mzjr1%2F5bnXaDxrAskYyN7rzYRm%2BC%2BagVoLBbh5RUKvtgoUWuF%2F7yvd1wgr5FRYPXC3faRuWRLq6QuFGO4n%2B5xB131GEEnKzXfXVOEjXbeT90NXTyDOMbaxYeeNxsCnrU8xtjytWnKMjItrWJd1Lo%2FyVaxorxBYgMJyBPhBsHZqUMnDD7pQyIMUUUiBXdru83zhiZ8Zl%2BmOBM7g%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMupO0599g

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks