• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steped on a pop top blew out the flip flop

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to return the 816 to day and was waliking away when I heard a air leak. Great trace it down and it is the air shift / sprag on the trans. It blew out the gasket that is on the top cover. The bolts were a little loose and this is why I think it let loose. So this is a simple 10 min. Job that everyone should check by just take off battery cover. I used a 3/8 drive long extension flex head 7/16. I will from now on check all my trucks that have this system. I found this gasket stuff at Advanced and made new gasket. Very easy just make it all one peice instead of two peices. I guessing most people know or it has been posted before so the only bolts to remove the peice is top left bottom right on each cylinder.

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pics with it taken apart. You can see the indentation on the rubber /plate. The rubber is very hard. The outher pic is with block taken apart and the yellow line shows a seal that is driven into the block. The outher pic has the detent ball and an O ring at the base. Seems like the O rings could be matched and worse case we could remove rubber from plate and gule new on but it is the yellow line seal I have my concers about finding.

Attachments

Irv

repairing the little poppet valve yourself

I repaired the brass disk with the rubber disk glued to it that had formed an indentation over the decades. Here's how: Using a brand new single sided razor blade, slice the rubber disk away from the brass disk in one pass. Flip it over and glue it back down using super glue. Clean the rubber, first. Good as new. Irv

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you heard the air leaking, was it in reverse? or just neutral.
My leak was the gasket and I believe it was doing it in both. New gasket and now the vent is letting just a little air out only in neutral. I just swapped out a compleat air valve and it's doing the same thing. Leaking just a bit only in neutral. I checked another truck I have here and there is no leaking in neutral or reverse. I don't want to pay 200.00 for a new valve so I might try the rerubber trick.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The valve system is now back up and working ok but the problem now is I need to rebuild transfer air cyl. A leaking trans case cylinder will show it's self by blowing back through the copper line to the reverse popet valve on the transmission and out the popet valve exhaust port when in netrual or foward gear not reverse.

You can also have a leak in the trans case cyl. if the pressure is comming out the vent on top of the transfer case but it does not show leakage at the trans popet valves exhaust.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to try it out I went to Advance auto and bought a tube repair round kit and applyed the patch to the valve disc. Trimmed the edges and put it back together. It felt tight on there so let see how long it goes. Does have a nice new look about it compared to the old.

Attachments