• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steps behind front bumper on canadian m35's

demonhunter77

Hey guys,

I searched the TM's and didnt find what i was looking for. So, here goes: Does anyone have the spec's on the step behind the bumper/on either side of the winch for canadian m35a2c's? I want to get some fabbed for my deuce.

KsM715

Do you have a pic of what your wanting? I have never seen steps behind the bumper but I have seen the swing down type step on the 5ton truck bumpers. Is that what your looking for?

wsucougarx

I remember OD Iron used to carry those storage trays. However, I don't think he's in business anymore or at least right now. His website comes up but links are dead.

oboyjohn

Hi Fellas. I was in the Canadian military for 27 years and I can tell you exactly what they were for. Our MLVW's were originally issued without the bumper extensions. Within 2-3 years, a modification instruction was issued to extend the frame rails and to install step plates on the left, middle, and right sides. This was done to make maintenance and servicing the truck easier and much safer for both the driver and the maintainers. When a winch was already there, they just had to fabricate supports that attached to the lower front fender support, install the plate, and bolt the front part directly to the bumper. When our mod was done the bumper was turned over ( the cut out area is now up instead of down ) and we moved the BO drive light behind the bumper and cut out a round hole for it to shine through. I will dig around for some pictures to post here to show how it was done.

oboyjohn

Hi again everyone. I dug around at home and found 2 pics of the front bumper extension and step plates. The plates that were installed also had anti-skid tape glued to them. This is an absolute must up here in our winters. Wet slushy snow on a bare steel plate is very slippery wearing combat boots. One slip and your going down almost 4 feet to ground level. MLVW front.jpgMLVW2.jpg

Hope this helps demonhunter77 and to anyone else who wants to do this mod to your own M35's. Oh, and by the way, if you were wondering why we called our M35's MLVW, its stands for Medium Logistical Vehicle Wheeled.

charlietango

ya'll beat me to it, as always 11Echo is one step ahead. lol <-- no pun intended

They make a great addition to any M35. Just add the winch extensions and fab in the plates. Its an easy mod. Definitely needed to move the BO Drive as it cast too much shadow.

ps It will be cheaper to make your own than have me ship one to you!

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hi again everyone. I dug around at home and found 2 pics of the front bumper extension and step plates. The plates that were installed also had anti-skid tape glued to them. This is an absolute must up here in our winters. Wet slushy snow on a bare steel plate is very slippery wearing combat boots. One slip and your going down almost 4 feet to ground level. View attachment 413125View attachment 413126

Hope this helps demonhunter77 and to anyone else who wants to do this mod to your own M35's. Oh, and by the way, if you were wondering why we called our M35's MLVW, its stands for Medium Logistical Vehicle Wheeled.

Thank you oboyjohn for the close up pictures, this will be next in line on my to do list. Instead of of the BO drive I am doing a hole on each side and putting the armored spots there. It has amazed me how your military made these trucks more user friendly besides this mod, the cab basket, MLVW super single and others. Also like the detail of the metal guard over the back of the light to keep somebodies size 12 boots from ripping the wires out of the light.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It has amazed me how your military made these trucks more user friendly

Did you notice the steering box and pitman arm?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
There was a similar MWO for US 10 ton cargos which added expanded metal tread plates "to prevent injury to operating and maintenance personnel".

charlietango

The mod's were good ones for the most part. The Detroit Diesel was not the best one, however. It was gutless. Hydraulic winch, the baskets, the front bumper, the Allison automatic...
yea steering box and pitman are now VERY hard to find, now that they were shredding the truck.

On that note folks they discontinued the destruction order apparently! The replacement truck issued to our reserve units, MSVS by Navistar which, has proven to be such a piece of garbage that the REG-Force units refused to stock them and are now going to keep the MLVW's for a while longer. Apparently they are going to cannibalize the remaining stock to refurbish the 'keep' units and do frame off re-builds. Stay tuned for that. Sad thing is they shredded hundreds in the mean time. Such good planning.

here is a helpful link. I'd contact the owner of the site if you want the service manuals. He has the Fabrication and Installation of Stowage Rack for Truck, 2-1/2 Ton, MLVW on that page now. I will dig around for the service and other manuals. I have them somewhere.

http://www.militarytrucks.ca/mlvw.htm

Last edited:

charlietango

they used expanded on the sides, and in the drawings show an assortment of water drains on the structure and plywood bottom. the reason originally for the plywood was for a tarp to sort of seal it off. I would bet that an expanded bottom would be fine if you had a liner and lid for wet days

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks