• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stereo in the M1009, I hear my engine in my speakers!

Gunfreak25

So I finally slapped the stereo system in the M1009. The power is coming from the diamond shaped 12V supply on the firewall. I also have a cigarette lighter socket under my dash that feeds from the same 12v supply, I use it for small 12v stuff and charging my phone for trips.

The stereo sounds great and I love plugging my phone into it to listen to my internet radio on the go. But when it comes time to charge my phone from the cigarette lighter socket with the proper charger adapter, I hear my alternators squeeling in the speakers.

I don't have an antenna at the moment since I really only listen to my internet radio. I noticed the cell charger adapter cord acts as an antenna for the radio if I hold it up to the roof!

w3azel

In our Humvees and MRAPs hearing the engine in the radio speakers usually meant a bad ground somewhere in the system.

MarcusOReallyus

In our Humvees and MRAPs hearing the engine in the radio speakers usually meant a bad ground somewhere in the system.
Yep. Clean up your grounds, and you can also run a capacitor between the power lead and the ground close to the radio.

Might not help, though. Cell phone chargers are notorious noise makers.

Gunfreak25

Thanks guys, the cell charger is not making any noise, the noise starts when the truck is started and is coming from the alternators. I'll see if napa has what I need

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the factory alternators there was an external noise suppressor. Most of them have disappeared over the years. Maybe you can add one.

blackhueys

I have had that in the past. You need to look up online ground loop noises or related and it will give you a plethora of info to this issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks