• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stereo Instal

niferous

Well I thought I had everything for my stereo install. However once I got my driver's side speaker in I noticed that the instrument panel won't fit back in with the speaker in there. See pictures below. What kind of speakers are you guys using? I'm about to run to Best Buy and see if they have something that will work. What about taking the two speakers I have and moving them to the center hole to give me a total of four? Or should I just save them for another project and get some rear speakers instead and mount them in the back of the truck? The last picture is of the speaker on the passenger side and the other two are on the driver's side.

Attachments

lavarok

Those dash holes on the sides were designed for 3.5" speakers. From the factory ( civilian ), there would also be a little bracket that holds the speaker above the hole by about 1/4-1/2".

You can probably find some in a local junk yard. I think if you order speakers from Crutchfield, they include two new brackets.

allrevup

If using speakers with larger magnet (with or W/O OEM speaker brackets) you may want to turn the speaker connection terminals on the driver side so that it is at about 1 or 2 O'Clock ( away from the rear of the Gage cluster ) when looking at it from the drivers position. Also use BASS LOW frequency filter blocks 0-300Hz, so that the 3.5" speakers do not try to reproduce frequencies they are not good for, they will sound better and last longer

Last edited:

niferous

It's on hold for parts right now. Also we do Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncles so I couldn't work on it yesterday. I did paint the dash since when the Army re-painted it in 2007 they got a lot of over spray on the dash. I used a color which will match the seat covers and will probably use the same color for the door panels. Anyway I'm going to see if there is a way that I can securely mount the 4" speakers I have somewhere in the truck and also the stereo unit itself.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's on hold for parts right now. Also we do Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncles so I couldn't work on it yesterday. I did paint the dash since when the Army re-painted it in 2007 they got a lot of over spray on the dash. I used a color which will match the seat covers and will probably use the same color for the door panels. Anyway I'm going to see if there is a way that I can securely mount the 4" speakers I have somewhere in the truck and also the stereo unit itself.
Thought it was the 'turkey day setback', hope you had fun though! Sounds like you have been busy on your animal, hope it come out looking good!

Thinking about adding a stereo to mine as well and am looking at all options...think I got lucky, looks like whoever had it before me left the stereo port wide open and never used, no guage. They placed it under the dash just under where it would have been in the dash.

ChevyFan1207

I've been looking into this since I got mine a few weeks back. I noticed that the police department that had it before me had speakers (they are now garbage) and they had a radio installed in the factory position, but they removed the stereo and I can't figure out how they had it in there... Anyone with pics of a stereo install in the factory position would be appreciated. :-D

niferous

Okay I got the speaker brackets in last night but they had surface rust on them. I shot a coat of Rustoleum Rust Converter on them and then some flat black spray paint and should be able to get them on tonight. I'll let everyone know how the dash goes back on etc. As stated before I'll try to take lots of pictures.

niferous

Ok I know some guys were following this a little bit. To start I’ll re-cap what all I have done.
-I pulled the dash and repainted it with some Du-Pont vinyl paint. I did use an adhesion promoter before spraying the dash. I also repainted the rectangular vents and fixed the black dash bezel since it was barely holding on.
-I cleaned the surface rust off the vin plate and then sprayed out the entire under dash with compressed air. I then used a shop vacuum with a brush attachment to finish cleaning up as best I could. I then coated the vin tag with some Rustoleum black semi-gloss. I taped off around it and the rivets so it would look factory.
-I ordered speaker brackets and they had surface rust so I cleaned them up and sprayed them with some Rustoleum flat black. I got those installed and put some Infiniti 3-1/2” speakers.
-All the wires are ran and they just need to be cleaned up and ran through conduit. Right now I’m planning on putting the amp in the center console I’m making out of a 30mm ammo can.
-Hooked up to the 12 v switched power using a spade connector and it works!

Sounds pretty good but of course the sound of the motor drowns it out a little.
I finished it up after dark and it started raining on me so I’ll take some pictures tomorrow when I have better light.

niferous

Ok everything is in but I'm having a VERY annoying problem. When I get in the truck and turn the key to ignition on position, as if you were cycling the glow plugs, the stereo controls work just as they should. One light push of a button will result in whatever function is supposed to happen, happening. However if the engine is running all of a sudden I have to push a button multiple times to get it to work. This gets really annoying when trying to mute, or pause, or whatever because sometimes I wind up muting and then un-muting or whatever over and over.

The radio is very secure but the cord that goes from the controller to the box is not. Could vibration be causing this?

dstang97

I have messed around with a lot of radio's. I think your radio is probably a little screwy. Because your not changing any power or anything to make it change performance, What kind of stereo do you have? I think hands down Pioneer cd players are the best. Ive had great luck with them

niferous

After being bounced around to three or four different people I finally got bounced to ASA Electronics who apparently actually makes this stereo. They said the only thing they can think of is a possible voltage drop once the engine starts could cause this. I'm going to pull out the multi-meter when I get home to see if there is a drop. If there is I guess we'll go from there. If it's still light out when I get home I'll take some pictures for everyone too.

mtjbrown

I've been looking into this since I got mine a few weeks back. I noticed that the police department that had it before me had speakers (they are now garbage) and they had a radio installed in the factory position, but they removed the stereo and I can't figure out how they had it in there... Anyone with pics of a stereo install in the factory position would be appreciated. :-D

I noticed the other night at walmart they had an install kit for 73-87 chevy p/u for a din style stereo. Just a thought.