• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stereo Instal

niferous

Ok I was able to get out there but it was really dark by the time I was able to make it outside and test it.

With the ignition key in the on position I get 10.5 volts on my multi meter. When I turn the motor on I get 14 volts. Does this sound right? I'm fairly new to car electronics and completely new to car stereo so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

4bogginchevys

You should have about 12.5v with key on and I beleive you should have the same with engine running....where did you tap into to get power? the headlights are the exception to the rule because they get thier power right off the starter i.e. thats why they dim when you turn the truck off. Are you hooked somewhere after a suppressor.....I thought there was only a couple on the truck but you might have tapped in after one.:-D

niferous

I took the measurement at the wire coming into the radio. Currently I am taped into the fuse block. On the left side of the block, second open spot from the top.

4bogginchevys

when I tapped into the block on my 1008 I tested all availible slots and only 1 had 12v, one had similiar to yours and one only had 1.5 volts....i'm curious now...:-D

niferous

Ok I switched it to the next spot up and it was still getting the same results. Right at 10.5 volts with the engine off at the wire going into the stereo. When I turned on the engine it was still getting around 10.5 at first. As soon as the truck warmed up just a little bit and the voltage went all the way to the green and that little white line that sticks down in the green area it started reading 14.3 volts and of course the buttons got hard to operate.

So it seems I may have an over charging issue with the 12 v outlets on the fuse block. Any suggestions on how to go about diagnosing that?

niferous

I called ASA electronics again and the tech support guy said it should be working just fine with 14.5 volts. He actually said this was normal for an electrical source on a car to put out that much. Anyway I'm waiting on a RMA number and I am returning it soon to get fixed.