• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sterling truck brand soon to be no more

This was announced yesterday to the public. If you have a Sterling in your fleet you better sell it as the resale value is about to go down real quick just as the Sterling/Freightliner Condor model did when they sold the cab to American LaFrance. It's a shame because the Sterling Acterra was a pretty decent truck for the pricing point.
Andy

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/14/business/EU-Germany-Daimler-North-America.php

BobS

2 quick points- DTNA didn't "sell" the Condor to ALF-ALF is the one that designed it (I worked on the program). Secondly, the Sterling line was a new hood on a Ford L series. Sterling only made money for DTNA in 3 out of 11 years.

Best regards,

Bob

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really don't see how this will affect the trucks already on the road. If you look at the resell value of other trucks that have went out of business or stopped production They are about in the same price range as other trucks of same condition (sometimes more because you can't get the same truck new anymore). Ford resell prices didn't fall when the switched to Sterling. I'm sure they will still have parts support for the Sterling.

BobS

Try to GET service and parts. What the other poster failed to mention was the dealers that are closing, the number of people being laid off, and the general lack of concern by upper management about fulfilling the 10 year rule.

Best regards,

Bob

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have trouble getting frieghtliner parts for a 1994 model and they are still in business :shock: . I would think the FL dealers would still handle parts and service but seems like you guys no more about the situation than I do.

FreightTrain

Banned
Re: RE: Sterling truck brand soon to be no more

BobS said:
2 quick points- DTNA didn't "sell" the Condor to ALF-ALF is the one that designed it (I worked on the program). Secondly, the Sterling line was a new hood on a Ford L series. Sterling only made money for DTNA in 3 out of 11 years.

Best regards,

Bob
Did ya get a Lone Star?Bad rigs!

BobS

m16ty said:
Well I have trouble getting frieghtliner parts for a 1994 model and they are still in business :shock: . I would think the FL dealers would still handle parts and service but seems like you guys no more about the situation than I do.
Let's do the math here....

2009 (model year)-1994 (model year)= 15 years old. Does 15 years old equal 10 years from the law?

:lol:

You are lucky to find ANYTHING for a 1994 truck from DTNA. Until you get a newer truck...you will have to deal with it and not complain. Freightliner dealers are not necessarilly a Sterling dealer so, no, you aint gonna get parts there either.

Best as always,

Bob