• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stewart & Stevenson M1083 MTV 6x6 Bed Height?

AKROVR

Looking at Buying and Building a M1083 into a Overlanding Rig but can't find the actual bed height for it? I'm trying to find how tall the top of the bed is from the ground so I can figure out how much height I have left for a custom pop-up 1 1/2 story box. Thanks!!!

snowtrac nome

there is a guy in Washington who removed the fifth wheel plate, trailer wiring / brake hoses and aux trans coolers and successfully stuck an rv trailer with no undercarriage or tung on his. I didn't see it I heard it worked real nice

AKROVR

This is roughly what I'll be going for. We are a family of 7 that wants to build something we can live out of for months on end for traveling. So its going to need to be custom with lots of sleeping berths!
KAT-09-2.jpg

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a guy in Washington who removed the fifth wheel plate, trailer wiring / brake hoses and aux trans coolers and successfully stuck an rv trailer with no undercarriage or tung on his. I didn't see it I heard it worked real nice
Snowtrac, you may be thinking of the 1088... The OP mentioned a 1083 which is a 6x6 cargo truck with a bed, big brother to a 1078.

coachgeo

Basically.... 5 feet off ground. BUT... most doing Expo campers remove the bed ..... saves you on a rig your size at least 3,500? lbs. and about a 8-12" in height. (2 wheel version of same rig's bed is known to be 2500 lb so 3500 is an estimate). you will need a hella strong box to safely transport that many people since they won't all fit in the cab. Very doable though. Your top speed... your looking at 50ish mph though. Will that fit you?

AKROVR

Basically.... 5 feet off ground. BUT... most doing Expo campers remove the bed ..... saves you on a rig your size at least 3,500? lbs. and about a 8-12" in height. (2 wheel version of same rig's bed is known to be 2500 lb so 3500 is an estimate). you will need a hella strong box to safely transport that many people since they won't all fit in the cab. Very doable though. Your top speed... your looking at 50ish mph though. Will that fit you?
I was originally thinking a welding a steel rectangular tube frame to the top of the factory bed and then doing a high-bred bed-liner over foam for the walls. I figure it would be heavier than aluminum but much stronger in a rollover or accident. Also, thought about doing a hard-sided pop-top that would add a loft for two rooms for the kids, but I would defiantly need to remove the factory bed to have enough room to stay under the 14ft clearance issues. As for 50mph speed goes, whose in a hurry ;)

AKROVR

I was thinking about welding a steel cage directly on top of the factory bed and filling it in with a hybrid system of bed-liner over foam panels, but still have a lot to hash out. My wife wants a hard sided pop-top to create two loft style bedrooms for kids up above, but I would defiantly need to remove the factory bed to gain enough room to stay under the 14ft height clearance. Either way I figure a steel caged box would provide a pretty safe ride encase of a rollover or emergency.

snowtrac nome

from the time I was in the guard and traveling around the country side for A-T try to find a ng rig they get a lot less use and better maintenance than the contractor maintained active duty trucks.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does IronPlanet sell from National Guard posts too?
I got my M923A2 from a Guard unit through GovPlanet. The question is how quickly the NG is offloading FMTVs. They might not be in as big a hurry as Active units. Are you planning on transport back to AK to finish it out or have it done beforehand?

AKROVR

CoachGeo, I had replied to you last night but for some reason it didn't come through?

Anyways, thanks for the height info. I think I will take off the bed and have a steel framed box built which should give lots of protection! I'm looking into building a hybrid system of bed-liner over foam panel walls, but not sure how well it would work?
As for top speed, I'm not in a big hurry ;)

AKROVR

I got my M923A2 from a Guard unit through GovPlanet. The question is how quickly the NG is offloading FMTVs. They might not be in as big a hurry as Active units. Are you planning on transport back to AK to finish it out or have it done beforehand?
I figured if they did they wouldn't be selling very many. As for building it up, it would depend, but I figured I would probably have it shipped to Oregon to my parents house and have a diesel mechanic go over everything thoroughly, change fluids, ect, before really driving it, that way It has the best chance of being reliable and not damaging anything. Then I would probably build it up there since the weathers better, and they have better facilities.

snowtrac nome

I got my lmtv out of the gov plannet yard in Washington. all property active and guard will go through the same drmo process. mine was a guard rig, being a 94 with only 13 k on the clock and the condition of the rest of the truck verifies the odometer reading. it appeared to come out of a utes program as its clean as a whistle and the oil is still clear as honey. you will see more unarmored stuff guard and active coming up for sale as with all the upgrades in armored cabs and emissions compliant powertrains, it must cost less to build new rather than upgrade them.

snowtrac nome

if its really clean and low miles most likely its a national guard utes rig. other wise one would have to get a hold of the usa number, and do some research. because the bumper numbers showing unit of assignment and order of march are all removed on the trucks I see for sale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks