• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stewart & Stevenson M1083 MTV 6x6 Bed Height?

snowtrac nome

hoping to get down soon but I have a trip to unakleet to do weekend after next and a trip up to teller this weekend. still figuring out how to get down that way soon. right now its looking like the upfitter is going to have to move the truck to the docks for me as I just don't have the time to go all the way to Seattle on my next trip out

AKROVR

out of curiosity's sake, what kind of fuel mileage would I be looking at for the M1083 6x6 before a box is added? Also, do you think adding 10,000lbs would make a big difference in mileage? Low MPG isn't going to make any difference on whether I purchase one or not, just would like to know what to plan for. Thanks

snowtrac nome

around here every one keeps asking what it gets for mpg I tell them if you got to ask you cant afford to drive it. your right for a truck of its size 5 to 7 isn't that bad. on the other hand it isn't a 12 valve cummins capable of 20, or a 6.2 gm capable of 22 if driven right, but it's got a cool factor none of them do.

coachgeo

around here every one keeps asking what it gets for mpg I tell them if you got to ask you cant afford to drive it. your right for a truck of its size 5 to 7 isn't that bad. on the other hand it isn't a 12 valve cummins capable of 20, or a 6.2 gm capable of 22 if driven right, but it's got a cool factor none of them do.
The cummins 8.3? has been recommended as a potential good swap. Especially one from a Motorhome or school bus

AKROVR

Do you think I would have any problems with a 6-8ft rear overhang similuar to this rig? My plan would be a rear sleeper over a quad garage/tool storage. ff0a1b8c46c4daf41dad3fb516840329.jpg95116fc972b525a51169eb6e1e5c3871.jpgpage19-1092-full.jpgpage19-1093-full.jpg

AKROVR

I doubt I'll ever have a quad in there, but figured I could make it compatible for one. I'll start a build design thread here soon with some drawn up blueprints that you guys can poke holes in. I want to get everything figured out and have my build plans ready for when I get the truck so I can start on the project right away! z05.jpg

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than horrible departure angle... no. However, I think it is wise to angle the rear up some (as much as possible) somewhat like the gray rig pictured last to improve departure angle. If you are hauling quads maybe they could park on the ramp and be lifted into place when closed. You could then go ahead and design to lift past level to improve d/a. Think ramp on the rear of a transport aircraft. Would that work?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow quads in high ground clearance trailer. When you lose the departure angles it's no longer an off road rig, and don't really need a 6x6 at that point. Also in the trailer you can carry extra fuel, water and gen. Then you have a scalable expedition rig with longer range, and extended stay times. The garage may look cool but it kills capability. I do admit those trucks look good :).

AKROVR

DiverDarrell I get what your saying, but since I have such a large family I'm going to have to sacrifice some offroad ability for overall size.images.jpg

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's going to be a pretty cool rv when your done. They make a longer bed fmtv, may be a good start, or perhaps lengthen between the wheels on a normal one.

coachgeo

Check LMTV M1085, Even better M1086. Don't know how hard those are to find though. FWIW.. agree that better to haul toys on a trailer. With that in mind.. consider a toy hauler trailer. Older kids sleep in that one or seperate the girls and boys sleep quarters between the two. As kids get older and move on in life.... sell the trailer and you've downsized without having to move out of the main unit.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1086 is tbe best platform, extended rails and ready to mount after, bed removal. We build these.

Attachments

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gunny, would you care to elaborate on, "we build these"? Is there a webpage or link you can provide? Feel free to PM me if it's not appropriate to share here on SS forum for some reason.

utahpow

Did Gunny get back to you on his comment? I'm interested in hearing if he's shared anything regarding building on the 1086. Did AKROVR drop the project?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks