• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stick with DOT5 or go to DOT3/4

yolner

I'm going to be putting my brake system back together with basically all new parts. I'm seriously considering going with DOT3/4 fluid just because it's easy to get anywhere and I don't mind flushing it every couple of years. Is there any reason to stick with DOT5 if you're basically starting from scratch and don't have to worry about contamination?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm going to be putting my brake system back together with basically all new parts. I'm seriously considering going with DOT3/4 fluid just because it's easy to get anywhere and I don't mind flushing it every couple of years. Is there any reason to stick with DOT5 if you're basically starting from scratch and don't have to worry about contamination?
"Is there any reason to stick with DOT5 " No, but why DOT4?

DOT 4 absorbs moisture faster than DOT 3

One last thing to know when discussing brake fluid is federal standards for brake fluid only dictate boiling points, not fluid composition, so there is no “standard” brake fluid formula.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT3 if you're going to be using it infrequently and are going to change/flush it every year.
DOT5 if it's a daily driver or you want less maintenance.

Just IMO.. I intend on keeping it DOT5.... It usually runs around $60-70/gallon.. I got 6, 11ish oz bottles for ~$35 on Amazon not that long ago...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can think of no compelling reason not to use DOT5, and plenty of reasons to use it.
Older systems not designed for it can cause issues re: rubber seals/lines...

DOT5 is hydrophobic, meaning it doesn't absorb water. So, any water, condensation, etc that makes it into the braking system, has no way out, and will generally pool at the lowest point.

DOT3 is hydroscopic, and will absorb water, which is one of the reasons it has to be changed more frequently.

DOT5 can be a little harder to bleed, as its higher viscosity means air bubbles are a little slower in moving...

There are pluses and minus to both... DOT3 can also give you a slightly firmer pedal...

V8srfun

The debate will never end on this subject but in summary as long as you properly maintain your truck both will work just fine. Just pick one and stick to it.

Larry Weibert

I used to buy the DOT 5 from this sight it was the best price around. It no longer works does anyone know what happed to this vendor iris industries.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks