• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sticking a 6.2 in a sheetmetal box

Gunfreak25

Something I never thought of before, as many of you already know I just installed a 6.2 in my M211. Just how loud is the cab going to be? I know a lot of 6.2's sound like a washing machine full of ball peen hammers. And I will be routing a single 3" straight pipe up the right side of the cab like the original motor. Am I going to go deaf?

Gunfreak25

If you'd like to keep up with the project, I have an active thread going in the appropriate section. I just fabbed up the motor mounts today and my neighbor is welding them up for me in the morning with his big Miller.

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the replies, I will do the 3" straight pipe as I was going to originally do. My neighbor had an old ford 6.9 which sounds amazingly similar with the 6.2. That thing would wake me up every morning and I'd hear it all the way down the block. And it was muffled. Now I will have an excuse to go with a VIC com set. :mrgreen:

Barrman

I know this is almost an apples to oranges comparison, but I think it will help.

My 1952 M35 Gasser with the stock REO OA331 and a muffler with the tail pipe out the back between the duals is hardly heard when sitting still. Above 30 mph or so, it is just as loud as my M35A2 multifuel with the whistler turbo. Hearing protection needed for both trucks.

How it applies to you is 3 axles turning, 1 transfer case and a transmission also turning. All making noise and heat. Then you have the square truck with air brakes for mirrors out in the wind trying to move through the air. A flat windshield will geneate a lot of wind noise. I think engine exhaust is just a small part of the noise inside the cab.

That is my duece noise example. 6.2 noise example is this. 1984 former USAF Suburban with a 6.2 and all the factory insulation. Hood, floor, doors, firewall and a headliner. I can't hear the engine until I am over 45-50 mph. Then the diesel sound from the engine itself is heard. Not annoying, just there.

1985 M1009 with no insulation and the 6.2 is a constant diesel sound. However, I can still hear the wind in the mirrors above 45 mph so it isn't that bad of a noise.

If you set the IP so the lines are lined up, the engine will make a lot less diesel type noises. Advance the IP toward the drivers side and the noise level goes way up.

I really doubt your truck will be signifigantly louder at speed with the 6.2 than it would have been with the 302 gasser. Driving in a parking lot is another story.

Gunfreak25

I would agree that the deuce by design will be louder just because of the lack of insulation and the fact you have a lot of gear whine from multiple gear boxes. It does seem that some 6.2's are louder due to the timing being too advance. Some of them knock really good, will that significantly decrease engine life?

Tanner

Use a turbo-flow type muffler under the truck & route the exit pipe back forward & upward through fender...

Tanner

Barrman

6.2 timing seems to be one of those voodoo areas that everybody has a theory, but no hard evidence. I really don't know if engine life will be effected one way or the other. I just know I put a new IP on my 1009 Friday. The old IP was just a hair advanced past the line and not obnoxiously diesel. I put the new IP in a bit more advanced and it is much more diesel noise.

I am going to leave it for a tank full, check mpg and then turn it back just a hair, repeat and keep doing that until mpg's drop off or power is so down I can't stand it. Right now it has gobs more power as felt in the drivers seat. Probably not much in actual number hp.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Increased timing does affect cyl. pressure. Which can lead to head gasket failures if pushed too hard (especially in boosted engines). But in a NA 6.2, it's not really an issue. Actually advancing these to help compensate for the slack the timing chain stretches isn't a bad thing IMO.

Gunfreak25

I believe turning the pump towards the drivers side advances correct? I will experiment with mine later, advancing and not so much turning the fuel up. If I am not mistaken the HMMWV motors are already turned up over CUCV ones.