• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sticky winch engage

ericp351

Hi all . Have a 1991 A2 with a once replaced "Med Duty " front winch. It needs few few medium "bumps' with a heavy rubber mallet to engage or disengage the lever. Jogging unit and or break only helps a bit. How "real world normal" is this, and if bad- is there a basic fix? Thanks- good to have it on standby as boneheads sure to get stuck in upcoming snow!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing you are talking about an M35A2? If so these are a good reliable PTO driven winch that when used correctly give very good service. With the issues you are having the first thing I would do is to clean and lubricate everything as per the TM Lube order and see if that makes a difference. If not then you going to take the winch apart and open up the side where the engagement slider is inside the winch, it could be dirty and caked with old gear lube etc. that should then be cleaned and checked for free travel then make sure the lubricant inside the winch drive is clean and fresh. Of course while inside look things over carefully for any worn or broken parts and replace as needed. The winches are pretty simple to work on!

ericp351

Thanks. The gear lube looks ok as to level and clean. My service replacment did not have a level-plug drilled, but I checked with a "coat-hanger dipstick" . No grease fitings around engage=lever. If units should move easily all the time, I got a problem I guess. Thought they may normally stick- why I asked.

charlesmann

I too have an issue with free spool/engage lever. Iv had to use persuading tool to free spool it. My thoughts were the cable was to tight to allow any any “rocking” of the drum a d gears, to allow it to move the internals. After persuading it and leaving the cable loose, but setting and locking the tensioner, i havent had any further issues, but i also dont use the winch or truck much. Ill go out and check the front winch today, after sitting up for 5 months.

ericp351

I too have an issue with free spool/engage lever. Iv had to use persuading tool to free spool it. My thoughts were the cable was to tight to allow any any “rocking” of the drum a d gears, to allow it to move the internals. After persuading it and leaving the cable loose, but setting and locking the tensioner, i havent had any further issues, but i also dont use the winch or truck much. Ill go out and check the front winch today, after sitting up for 5 months.
Thanks for your reply. I do hate to ‘beat on’ nice machinery. I am still unsure of how high to keep the oil level on the frame/left side of the unit. It looks as if the level is high it would lubricate the drum shaft better.

ericp351

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks