• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

still alive and kickin

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We (The USA) gives zillions in foreign military aid via $$$, equipment, and training to allies. I went to a US Army school here in the US and sat beside officers from both Saudi Arabia and Lebanon. Happens all the time.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tens of thousands of trucks were sold as surplus in Europe and around the world. I don't know how much were given or sold to then-friendly nations that are now a bit less friendly. Think Persia (now Iran), Iraq, and Afganistan, to name but the most obvious ones.

Once they are sold as surplus, none of the trucks (Deuces, 5-tons or whatever) would be classified as "military equipment" anymore or considered military relevant. They would go up for free trade all around the world just as trucks. Like said in other threads, most surplus trucks sold in Germany and The Netherlands are being prepared and resold for destinations in Africa.

So even without any direct RECENT American military or politicians being involved those things can and do end up on both sides. Now if the most modern tanks and anti-tank stuff, rockets, missiles, radar systems, etc ended up in Lebanon before the Israeli's would have them, that would be scary.

Just FYI, when I was doing research tracking river otters in the Czech Republic, we bought an older (read - larger) type night vision scope that was used and then left or sold as surplus after the Gulf War. We bought it in the Netherlands and imported it into the Czech Republic without any problem. The military background was no issue but the Czech authorities made problems that I had not declared it at the border but just drove straight to the Tax and Import Authorities 30 miles inside the Czech Republic.

zak

Last summer when GL auctioned off about 8o trucks at Selfridge there were half again as many sitting there for export.

Emmett

I was in Beirut about a year ago and noted MANY ex MV's.....M 151's, M-35's, CUCV's and most had the radios installed. It's nothing uncommon to see US MV's all over the world.
Don't forget that we sell vehicles just like we sell fighters and other aircraft to freindly :)wink:) nations. I'm sure that some are also "donated".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks