• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still cutting out

cucv1833

Still cant figure it out. My 85 M1008 starts up great idles good. but when i take it down the road it completly shuts off after a distance of 1 to 5 miles.
then it turns over a few times and cranks then does the same thing
after searches and my recent post i thought fuel problem
Ive changed all soft lines from the tank to the IP
>the fuel supply pump
>the fuel filter and base
>sending unit in tank is 1 year old tank is clean
I have bled the air out the fuel lines and pressured up the tank with 3-4 psi
the cap is a gasser but vents no problems before

Now i think it is electrical i did wire a radio and amp to the 12v junction block on the firewall same as my buddys M1009 thats when the problem started could i be pulling to much power are burnt something up (fuel cut off solenoid)

Any tips will help Thanks in advance

BIG_RED

:ditto:Find the pink wire under the front of the air cleaner. Strip some insulation off it and attatch a short wire to it that goes to +12volts on the front battery. Electrical tape connections so nothing falls off and shorts out. Go for a drive. If it doesn't die - you have electrical problems. Disconnect the test wire you put in before leaving the truck, it'll kill your battery. Oh, and FYI you will have to remove the wire to shut off the truck. Key won't stop it. Good Luck.

cucv1833

westech,

it could be i might put a direct 12v jumper wire to it to eliminate any bad wiring
im looking for a few other options also to try before doing my test run. Thanks

cucv1833

just got back in town and working on the truck again need some more advice
last week i pulled all the extra 12v wiring i added to eliminate any problems then i added some fuel additive. i drove the truck around a few miles no problem . the next day i drove about 30 miles and then it started stalling differnt than cutting out like it use to. i pop the bleed valve while it was idleing and pretty much no fuel was coming out just a few bubbles
then i sheared a starter bolt during this obvosly a fuel problem just wordering what to try next bad/clogged sending unit or something wrong with new supply pump any suggestions ive been reading post and tms for a month thanks

Westech

CPL
how did you brake off a starter bolt? what sending unit are you referring to? The pick up in the tank? That could be but I have never seen one get 100% clogged up. That screen in there can filter golf balls and nothing smaller. If you replaced the fuel pump on the side of the engine and you are still not getting fuel to the pump the only thing it could be would be plugged fuel filter or squished fuel lines.
I think you should replace the solenoid on the injection pump if all other checks out.

scottc

could be the return check on the injection pump. Disconnect the return hose from the pump, remove the check, has a small white ball in it. If it is stuck and has small brown specks in it. That is the problem. The pump will have to be rebuilt. Oringinally these pumps had a fiber gear that will deteriorate and cause issues. Good luck.

cucv1833

how did you brake off a starter bolt? what sending unit are you referring to? The pick up in the tank? That could be but I have never seen one get 100% clogged up. That screen in there can filter golf balls and nothing smaller. If you replaced the fuel pump on the side of the engine and you are still not getting fuel to the pump the only thing it could be would be plugged fuel filter or squished fuel lines.
I think you should replace the solenoid on the injection pump if all other checks out.

im referring to the sending unit in the tank. the guy that sold me truck installed a used one 2 years ago and said the tank was clean. i sheared 1 starter bolt after the truck died restarting. the fuel filter is new with the housing about 40 miles on it. i guess i will fix the starter bolt check all lines and change the filter again and give that a go. thanks alot

cucv1833

could be the return check on the injection pump. Disconnect the return hose from the pump, remove the check, has a small white ball in it. If it is stuck and has small brown specks in it. That is the problem. The pump will have to be rebuilt. Oringinally these pumps had a fiber gear that will deteriorate and cause issues. Good luck.

ive have pulled that 3 times and cleaned it but it never has any trash in it and the ball is there i also changed the hose i checked it with the hose off once it flows good thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks